Bald Cypress backbuds

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
One of my two BC is starting to backbud but I’m wondering when to move it into the sun.
I originally had them both in a spot where they were getting what I hoped to be a few hours of morning sun but was concerned it was too much.

After speaking with Erik at Wigerts he recommended I put them in the shade ‘until the buds burst’ then move them to moderate sun.
To do this I converted my chicken tractor into a shade house. The tarp seems like it blocks the large majority of light but I bought a 50% shade cloth that I can switch it out for when the time is right.

So, here are the trees and my current set up (and dog Viper photobombing). What does everyone think and when should I move the one that’s got buds?

Attachments

• IMG_8428.jpeg
    IMG_8428.jpeg
    431.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_8427.jpeg
    IMG_8427.jpeg
    383.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_8426.jpeg
    IMG_8426.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_8434.jpeg
    IMG_8434.jpeg
    445.3 KB · Views: 100
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Holy hell! Thats massive!!!!

I would partially uncover the area to give it a little sun during the day, that way your not giving it too much sun but given how long ago this post was I suspect the buds have opened up right?

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
With my BC they go in full sun right away - I've never put them in shade, even after collecting them. It's been in training for almost ten years and growing just fine. I would have moved into full sun already, though you may want to do it in stages as you may have gotten it "use" to shade enviroment.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
One of my two BC is starting to backbud but I’m wondering when to move it into the sun.
I originally had them both in a spot where they were getting what I hoped to be a few hours of morning sun but was concerned it was too much.

After speaking with Erik at Wigerts he recommended I put them in the shade ‘until the buds burst’ then move them to moderate sun.
To do this I converted my chicken tractor into a shade house. The tarp seems like it blocks the large majority of light but I bought a 50% shade cloth that I can switch it out for when the time is right.

So, here are the trees and my current set up (and dog Viper photobombing). What does everyone think and when should I move the one that’s got buds?
Why move it? Roll up your shade a bit more each week.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Holy hell! Thats massive!!!!

I would partially uncover the area to give it a little sun during the day, that way your not giving it too much sun but given how long ago this post was I suspect the buds have opened up right?
Yes they have! I have since converted the chicken tractor to half heavy shade (tarp) and half 50% shade cloth. The smaller tree was collected earlier and is further along so under the shade cloth, a few days ago while watering I noticed the side of the small tree closest to the door (full sun) is growing faster than the side not exposed. I moved it closer to the door and have been turning it each morning.

Thank you all for the idea of just rolling the shade cloth back, I was planning on cycling the trees so the larger one would have the same gradual sun exposure.

Here are pictures of the current set up and tree development this morning

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 67

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cover the root crown (nebari) with another three inches of soil, so most of it is below the soil. Exposing it now risks it drying out during the recovery period. Standard practice by those who have been collecting for a while.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Cover the root crown (nebari) with another three inches of soil, so most of it is below the soil. Exposing it now risks it drying out during the recovery period. Standard practice by those who have been collecting for a while.
Thanks for the advice, I’ll add more soil to the base today.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’m noticing the foliage is losing its dark green color and starting to show some yellowing on the small tree getting the most sun exposure. One of the small branches is wilted which has not happened before, is this a normal part of the plant adjusting to the increased sun exposure or a symptom of it getting too much too fast?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I’m noticing the foliage is losing its dark green color and starting to show some yellowing on the small tree getting the most sun exposure. One of the small branches is wilted which has not happened before, is this a normal part of the plant adjusting to the increased sun exposure or a symptom of it getting too much too fast?
Too much too fast

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Moved it back but am surprised they are still so sensitive to sunlight, should I wait until the new branches have hardened off?
They are not sensitive to sunlight. The tree just don’t have roots to meet the water demands when the tree is out in the sun!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
They are not sensitive to sunlight. The tree just don’t have roots to meet the water demands when the tree is out in the sun!
The tree was collected 3 months ago, if it hasn’t established roots for the water demands it has now I’d imagine it will be in real trouble when summer hits unless they do some serious catching up.
Know of any way I can facilitate that happening?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The tree was collected 3 months ago, if it hasn’t established roots for the water demands it has now I’d imagine it will be in real trouble when summer hits unless they do some serious catching up.
The only thing I can think of is reducing the buds/leaves so the tree needs less water but I'm not sure if that'll help 🤔

Maybe someone else has had this particular issue before?

My logic here is the leaves dictate how much water is needed or able to be absorbed by the tree, if the roots can't support all the leaves with enough water reducing the leaves for a year should allow the roots to catch up..

You do have a massive tree here with tons upon tons of buds (from what I can see overall) @leatherback has more experience then me and probably can tell you if this is wise (I also want to know for my own knowledge)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Cajunrider is our resident bald cypress expert. I am not sure I have ever held one in my hands. Considering he is in this thread, some of the best insights available is already here.

In general, buds and leaves drive root formation so taking them off feel counterproductive.
and probably can tell you if this is wise (I also want to know for my own knowledge)
I wonder whether it is wise to make suggestions if you do not know yourself: People will follow suggestions online without hesitation, independent of who gives the advice.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If you remove the soil right now you will see very little new roots if at all. With collected BCs root growth only starts when there are leaves to collect energy. I have at least a dozen BCs the size of yours sitting in mostly shade right now with the buds barely showing. I am not sweating that so just chill, keep them in part shade with 2-3 hours of morning sun for a few more weeks and they will take off. I am out!!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If you remove the soil right now you will see very little new roots if at all. With collected BCs root growth only starts when there are leaves to collect energy. I have at least a dozen BCs the size of yours sitting in mostly shade right now with the buds barely showing. I am not sweating that so just chill, keep them in part shade with 2-3 hours of morning sun for a few more weeks and they will take off. I am out!!!
Thank you, I’ll resume the watchful waiting.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thoughts on fertilizing at this stage?
Three months in Fertilizer may help, or not. Are the buds growing? or sulking? If they're growing, the roots are as well. If they haven't extended much, neither have the roots. Adding fertilizer to sluggish developing roots is of little use since the roots might not be able to use the fertilizer.

BTW, removing soil or foliage at this point is counterproductive and will only slow things down.

Let it be until you see EXTENSION growth, pics would help enormously.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The buds on the smaller tree seem to be doing great, most have opened into leaves and are holding a nice dark green color with new growth daily. I did notice little white bugs (spider mites?) on the possible leader bud. I’ve been carefully removing them with the tip of my pocketknife each morning when I water but aside from that no problems.

The larger tree I think will survive, partially thanks to your help. It is putting off buds and they are growing nicely for the most part although far less in number than the smaller tree and sporadic. Most of the growth is very low on the tree, some clusters even within an inch or two of the soil line.
There are buds where I cut off existing established branches after collecting and a cluster near the trunk chop. This gives me hope. I’m about to water and will take current pictures

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Update pictures

Attachments

• IMG_8914.jpeg
    IMG_8914.jpeg
    370.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8923.jpeg
    IMG_8923.jpeg
    413.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8916.jpeg