Are there any winter hardy zone 5/6 trees that i can et cuttings of to propagate indoors for a project to use as bonsia material? (non evergreen)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Looking for project to use my viagrow 24 unit cloner with humidity dome and light but wanted to ask of anyone knows anything I can use to propagate material wise to grow from cuttings since it's winter now? Super bored and really want something I can do with it . Ideally wi ter hardy in zone 5 /6 or maybe fruiting indoors plant?¿ mame idk just trying think ahead and keep winter ick and blues away thanks sorry weird post maybe . Ideally not evergreens I tend to like discidious trees or such (also non houseplants more thinking tree wise if possible)

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think a better plan would be to try to propagate a tropical. I’ve been growing some Ficus benjamina cuttings in a janky “cloner” and they’re rooted well after being taken in early December. I think with winter cuttings, you’re doomed to take a lot of time for middling success. Instead, you could take a high success rate cutting of a tropical, and have them rooted and ready to be potted by the time spring cuttings are ready to be taken.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
I think a better plan would be to try to propagate a tropical. I’ve been growing some Ficus benjamina cuttings in a janky “cloner” and they’re rooted well after being taken in early December. I think with winter cuttings, you’re doomed to take a lot of time for middling success. Instead, you could take a high success rate cutting of a tropical, and have them rooted and ready to be potted by the time spring cuttings are ready to be taken.

I already grow alot tropicals and tbh not my favorite plants wise but I do apreciate the advice. Thanks .

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I wouldn’t say tropicals are my favorite either, but they certainly present a compelling solution to winter bonsai boredom! And variety is truly the spice of life, especially with plants.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cloners are not great for hardwood dormant cuttings, at least in my experience.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
I wouldn’t say tropicals are my favorite either, but they certainly present a compelling solution to winter bonsai boredom! And variety is truly the spice of life, especially with plants.
Indeed just ive always had house plants and don't really enjoy plants that lend to more instant or quicker bonsai. Just hoping to find plants more suited to outdoors or maybe somthing fruiting and flowering inside . But I do apreciate the idea ill think on it cant ever say never on things I feel

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Cloners are not great for hardwood dormant cuttings, at least in my experience.
Yea I wasn't sure so figured I'd ask. Im guessing it's more useful in spring and summer or maybe fall for cloning things ? Maybe. Just wondered if anyrhing takes to it in winter or if it's even possible to . Thought was seeing a few videos on hardwood cuttings taken and planted to sprout in spring so I had thought maybe I could buy sone cuttings and propagate/money a few for growing in spring threw winter . So I wasn't sure if it'd work or not or if would what species might even be viable. Be it fruiting or flowering plants or just other discidous (spelling that wrong I feel) trees or bushes

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6

If along tropical line speaking is there any fruit trees that lend to this cloning from stems like flowering or something

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here’s a video on the subject of winter cuttings from an experienced forum member.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Here’s a video on the subject of winter cuttings from an experienced forum member.

Haha yes this was one the videos I watched . Was good video too. That's why oli wondered what might be viable with the cloner if anything or if it's more a season wise item to use (softwood or semi wood versus hardwood, though I've seen the cloner work with zelkova and other like plants idk if winter cuttings would be viable or obly once started to grow) sorry im unsure how word my thoughts on it I feel

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Azalea are easy. I usually just stick cuttings in my grow bed or unused pot. Easy pezey. Most are cold hardy in those zones. You have to have a neighbor with some in their landscape. Look for smaller leaf varieties.

No harm in trying you cuttings indoor to give you something to do. They are one of my favorites. I have a dozen different kinds.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Azalea are easy. I usually just stick cuttings in my grow bed or unused pot. Easy pezey. Most are cold hardy in those zones. You have to have a neighbor with some in their landscape. Look for smaller leaf varieties.

No harm in trying you cuttings indoor to give you something to do. They are one of my favorites. I have a dozen different kinds.
Yea there beautiful but highly deadly to dogs if eaten and mine are naughty leaf stealing pugs. Great pet kids but highly vegetarian if find single dropped leaf. Do hornbeams or elms or zelkova or any deciduous or flowering trees I guess viable for house plants long as given maybe 2 months cold sleep?

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20240109-082157.jpg
    VideoCapture_20240109-082157.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6

Added photo of my sleepy leaf snacking pugs hope was ok

Top Bottom