Apple Yamadori….I think!!

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My brother has a farm in south central Ontario where I found, what I believe to be, an apple tree. This is my first attempt at collecting yamadori. It’s covered in lichen at the moment but I’m sure it’ll die off here in Hamilton.
I’ll let it grow a year or two (if I can keep it alive) in this pot and see how it does. IMG_4331.jpegIMG_4332.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4334.jpeg
    IMG_4334.jpeg
    379.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4327.jpeg
    IMG_4327.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It has the characteristics of apple so likely that's what it is.
Apple are hardy and transplant easily. Timing looks good with just a few buds opening so My guess is it will survive.
You already have some mature fruiting spurs on the tree so it is likely to flower as the leaves open in the next couple of weeks. I would remove spent flowers to avoid the tree putting effort into fruit this year.
Fingers crossed.

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for your response Shibui. I put it in basic garden soil mixed with some potting soil last Sunday. Should I put it in a more free draining bonsai mix. Some buds are just peeking through but haven’t even started swelling.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
a second transplant at this stage is no problem as new roots will not have started yet but probably not necessary. Free draining bonsai mix is only insurance against our tendency to overwater. Trees will grow in almost any soil provided we match watering to the drainage of the soil. If you have other trees in a more open mix I'd repot as it is easier to manage watering with a single soil mix but if you're still learning then leave it as is and learn to water the soil in the pot it's in.
A deeper training pot is also insurance against root problems associated with over watering.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your response Shibui. I put it in basic garden soil mixed with some potting soil last Sunday. Should I put it in a more free draining bonsai mix. Some buds are just peeking through but haven’t even started swelling.
For future reference, DO NOT put it in basic garden mix and potting soil. Just PLAIN BONSAI SOIL. AT this point with new buds pushing, it's too late to do much. New buds signal new root growth, which are probably about the same size as the buds. You will have to watch this tree closely in the coming months to make sure it doesn't dry out or stay too wet -- which can be tough.

With newly collected trees, You want maximum drainage, along with the gas exchange that comes with it. Air is pulled into the soil at every watering with a freer draining mix. Roots require that exchange, particularly as they begin developing.

A heavy water retaining soil can prevent that air exchange and can smother new roots or rot them over time. Peat moss is an extremely bad thing to include in newly collected trees' soil. It remains far too wet, its fine particles clog drainage and can lead to anaerobic conditions. Plain deciduous mix bonsai soil with a bit or chunkier organic components like composted pine bark, or seedling orchid bark is perfect.

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It’s cooled down the last few days here so the buds haven’t pushed out anymore than when I first potted it a week ago. I think I’m going to go ahead and put it in the bonsai I have - (lava, haydite, pumice and pine bark). I have a large bag of akadama that I haven’t opened yet. Would you recommend I add that to the mix?

Top Bottom