Anyone Know What This Is?

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have these growing wild around my yard/property. They produce lovely lavender flowers in spring and early summer that unfortunately only last a day. I haven't been able to identify the species, and was wondering if anyone knows what it is. Any help much appreciated.

Zach

Attachments

• Accent5-15-11.JPG
    Accent5-15-11.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 123
Possibly a variety of mock orange? Philadelphus?

Possibly a variety of mock orange? Philadelphus?

It's not a shrub like the mock oranges, nothing really woody about it. When collected last year it had a single stem, which died off in winter. It produced two stems this year. In the wild I don't recall seeing this happen, but I'll have to look at some more.

Thanks for the response.

Zach

Looks like some type of Ruellia, also called Wild Petunia, to me. Very common in the south. FYI- These will produce roots from cuttings very easily in water if you want more. They also will flower quite well in the shade.

Last edited:
Looks like some type of Ruellia, also called Wild Petunia, to me. Very common in the south. FYI- These will produce roots from cuttings very easily in water if you want more. They also will flower quite well in the shade.

Hey, I think you nailed it! Thanks very much, I hate not knowing what I have.

I've got these critters all over my yard, so I won't need to make any more. But it's good to know they're easy to propagate.

Zach

Back
Top Bottom