Any advice is appreciated

Goodlary

Seed
Reaction score
My experience in looking after a Bonsai only comes from YouTube tutorials and reading multiple forums on this website.

I hope to get some advice to keep my bonsai healthy, as this is my first time doing this

I've attached pictures. Here is the background:
- I'm in the UK, near London. The bonsai is on a windowsill and collects sunlight (when we have sun) all day long.
- This is an indoor bonsai tree (I live in a flat)
- I believe during the begining I overwatered the bonsai too much. Now I'm trying to test this better by putting my finger into the soil to test if it's damp or not first.
- I planted the seeds at the start of February 2024 (roughly 2.5 months old from the picture)
- I try and fertilize the soil with Westland Bonsai feed (from Amazon)

Questions I'd like somehelp with, please:
- Do you know what type of tree this will be? Or too early to tell? Sadly I'm not aware of what seeds or type of soil I was given. (It was a training bonsai kit as a gift)
- Some of the leaves are starting to brown at the edges - Is this due to overwatering? Any advice on how to heal this?
- The stem of the biggest seedling is thin and dark at the root and green and flowering at the top. Is that normal?
- A white fungus over the top of the soil. How harmful is this? Do I need new soil? (I tried cinnamon, but wasn't sure how much to actually put on the soil)
- I have multiple seedlings in this one pot. Is that okay, do i need to rehouse them?

Thank you very much in advance.

Attachments

• Bonsai 1.jpg
    Bonsai 1.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Bonsai 2.jpg
    Bonsai 2.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Bonsai 3.jpg
    Bonsai 3.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 18

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know what those are, but growing trees indoors year round ranges from difficult to impossible, depending on the species. Do you have a balcony?

Browning leaves could be the result of overwatering or underwatering or something else entirely.

The stem looks normal.

That doesn't look like fungus. It looks like calcium buildup from hard water. The soil you have is fine for seedlings, but you're probably still watering too frequently.

You can keep multiple seedlings in one pot until they're grown. Then, you can transplant them into their own pots.

Don't fuss too much over the seedlings. Just let them grow, and whenever the soil is dry more than 2 cm down, drench it until the water is flowing out the drainage holes at the bottom.

Goodlary

Seed
Reaction score
I don't know what those are, but growing trees indoors year round ranges from difficult to impossible, depending on the species. Do you have a balcony?

Browning leaves could be the result of overwatering or underwatering or something else entirely.

The stem looks normal.

That doesn't look like fungus. It looks like calcium buildup from hard water. The soil you have is fine for seedlings, but you're probably still watering too frequently.

You can keep multiple seedlings in one pot until they're grown. Then, you can transplant them into their own pots.

Don't fuss too much over the seedlings. Just let them grow, and whenever the soil is dry more than 2 cm down, drench it until the water is flowing out the drainage holes at the bottom.
I really appreciate you taking the time to comment on this. Just trying my best to look after them.

Sadly no balcony. Good to know about the hard water. I'll be really careful about when to water.
Thank you again, very helpful.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I really appreciate you taking the time to comment on this. Just trying my best to look after them.

Sadly no balcony. Good to know about the hard water. I'll be really careful about when to water.
Thank you again, very helpful.

It might help to pick up a big jug of distilled water and use it to flush the salts out of the water? After that, be sure to carry the pot over to the sink and water it until it comes out the drainage holes, so you can flush out the old calcium salts each time you water.

Top Bottom