Another Homeless

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi, the Mugo is pushing well, no more little insects, no more brown needles, so it's in a good way for a completely recover.
I leave all the old needles for backbudding, just in case, but until now I have only apical buds, that's should be normal since the plant is weak.
I have seen a lot of info from @Vance Wood, but I think that for this season I have to leave the plant grow free....20230626_131041.jpg20230626_131046.jpg20230626_131050.jpg20230626_131057.jpg

jradics

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hi, the Mugo is pushing well, no more little insects, no more brown needles, so it's in a good way for a completely recover.
I leave all the old needles for backbudding, just in case, but until now I have only apical buds, that's should be normal since the plant is weak.
I have seen a lot of info from @Vance Wood, but I think that for this season I have to leave the plant grow free....View attachment 495898View attachment 495899View attachment 495900View attachment 495901
Congratulations on saving this tree.

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For what it’s worth, there is a lot more to pine development than getting a few tips from Vance Wood and thinking in terms of seasonal work scope.

This is the right moment to find a high quality pine education source or teacher and begin studying pine development.

I’m on the other side of that education path and can safely say google / youtube / bonsainut will not really help put the pieces of the puzzle together in a coherent way.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
This is the right moment to find a high quality pine education source or teacher and begin studying pine development.
The bonsai club here is full and they don't accept new members....

For what it’s worth, there is a lot more to pine development than getting a few tips from Vance Wood and thinking in terms of seasonal work scope.
You have right but there is always a starting point, then with time make the study deeper....

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here in Switzerland they are very strict with the number, I wrote months ago and still waiting for the place.
Maybe yes in Delaware pigs can fly :)

That is bizarre to me. I've never heard of a club that wasn't desperate to attract as many new members as possible. I'm not just talking about bonsai clubs. Any hobby-oriented club in the States is continually working to attract as many new members as possible.

I genuinely thought you were joking when you said the club had enough members. That's like saying, "I have enough money. I don't want more."

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Eh I play ice hockey as a goaltender, played in USA several years ago and a goalie was always more than welcome, here not.
When they reach a number that they consider efficient they close the subscription, probably play a role also my poor german ( german speaking is a prerequisite )

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Congratulations on saving the tree

I think that for this season I have to leave the plant grow free....

This is a good plan. Feed it regularly and let it grow, recover and gain strength this year.

Reassess it next spring and see where it is at then.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Some news buds :)
Most have the three buds on top, even the dead ones have some life....

Should I remove the center bigger one ?

20230629_172426.jpg20230629_172434.jpg20230629_172616.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
Here in Switzerland they are very strict with the number, I wrote months ago and still waiting for the place.
Maybe yes in Delaware pigs can fly :)
There is a club in Basel that also welcomes none members to bring trees along for help on Saturdays at

Erlenhof, Eggweg, 4153 Reinach BL​

Access plan (link to Google Maps)​

Hope this is useful

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
There is a club in Basel that also welcomes none members to bring trees along for help on Saturdays at
I wrote them once but there was no answer, the club I received info was from Bottmingen, near my house. But as soon they will open I will go directly to have a look. Thank you so much

Remove the buds in fall or winter. Wait for them to be equal in size, remove the weakest ones.
Ok, so the smaller will grow ? Should I leave always the center if is the bigger ?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I wrote them once but there was no answer, the club I received info was from Bottmingen, near my house. But as soon they will open I will go directly to have a look. Thank you so much

Ok, so the smaller will grow ? Should I leave always the center if is the bigger ?
Yes, the smaller will grow. Maybe not as large as the center one, but by mid winter they are more or less the same size.
I never remove the center one because that can damage the ones on the side too easily.
Then in winter I remove the smallest ones from the tip and leave two.
This is the way single flush pines work when regaining strength; even though the buds are there, your work is done for now up until next year.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's great, those back buds will give you potential opportunities to cut back to branches closer to the trunk if they grow.

Be careful of them, right now they are very fragile.

Keep feeding it for another month.

Top Bottom