Another complicate Scott pine

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have since 3 weeks this Scott pine, I don't write that is another homeless as my previous post about a mugo so we can go straight to the point :)
How I have to prune it next autumn ? I mean wich branch are usefull for a future design ? I know that is a complete disaster, at least with my experience, but I am sure we can find a way together.
I cut over all these branch because after was almost 25 cm straight without anything before another wheel branch.
20230615_184843.jpg20230615_184848.jpg20230615_184858.jpg20230615_184909.jpg20230615_185027.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Wait for others to comment but my guess is you’ll probably want to remove the entire second wheel of branches where you have cut paste. It’s swelling and there seems to be an unmanageable number of branches there. Maybe Jin it and focus on the lower set of branches which are less crowded.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Wait for others to comment but my guess is you’ll probably want to remove the entire second wheel of branches where you have cut paste. It’s swelling and there seems to be an unmanageable number of branches there. Maybe Jin it and focus on the lower set of branches which are less crowded.

Yes that is my idea... let's see :)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
what do you know? when was is collected / repotted etc?

going down looks logical, but first ensure full health

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
The plant was repotted 3 weeks ago in pumice with akadama on the top, I cut very low roots. The soil was pumice but the pot was broken so i put the plant in a bigger one.
Of course I need to let the plant gain energy, so the big work will start next spring, but maybe there is somthing that I can do with useless part at the end of this season.....

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
Agree with @leatherback for now do nothing

I would disagree with the post above about the top whorl, I would leave this to thicken the trunk as it would later be cut off so inverse taper and ugly won't matter. (for future reference the long straight and wheel branch above was also not doing harm to the final design and could have been left to thicken trunk faster and keep more energy in the tree until eventually being chopped and forgotten about)

Then later i would chop back to a new leader from the lower whorl (probably that one to the left of the pic with the closest growth to the trunk) which again Can be tidied up as the chop heals,

I would hope this gave some budding lower down i could then use to build a future tree, if no budding i would build what I can from the new leader.

again though, the tree has been through a lot in a short time, for now it needs to recover.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I misread the initial post and saw “next autumn” as 2024 (versus “this autumn” 🤦‍♂️). Certainly wouldn’t do any more chopping for now. What I meant was I didn’t see a final design that would include the top whorl, so it’d go at some point down the road and you shouldn’t include it in your future designs.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
I misread the initial post and saw “next autumn” as 2024 (versus “this autumn” 🤦‍♂️). Certainly wouldn’t do any more chopping for now. What I meant was I didn’t see a final design that would include the top whorl, so it’d go at some point down the road and you shouldn’t include it in your future designs.
Sorry, my bad translation

Agree with @leatherback for now do nothing

I would disagree with the post above about the top whorl, I would leave this to thicken the trunk as it would later be cut off so inverse taper and ugly won't matter. (for future reference the long straight and wheel branch above was also not doing harm to the final design and could have been left to thicken trunk faster and keep more energy in the tree until eventually being chopped and forgotten about)

Then later i would chop back to a new leader from the lower whorl (probably that one to the left of the pic with the closest growth to the trunk) which again Can be tidied up as the chop heals,

I would hope this gave some budding lower down i could then use to build a future tree, if no budding i would build what I can from the new leader.

again though, the tree has been through a lot in a short time, for now it needs to recover.
Ok, so full sun and recover until the next season....

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, that would be recommendation. And if you get good, multiple buds per branch ending next year, think what / when to prune. It is a bore, but sometimes you just have to let the trees sit and grow.

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ok, so full sun and recover until the next season....
This is more often than not the case when working on developing material. Bonsai unfortunately can be quite the patience game.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Seriously, there has to be something better where u live to work on. All I see is a lot of time and disappointment. You owe it to yourself to find something else. Sorry, just MO.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Of couse there is something better, but why always choose the easy way.
Learning curve step on with the difficult plant, learn how they can survive, make a nice design ( maybe nothing superspecial) and let them live happy....

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Of couse there is something better, but why always choose the easy way.
Learning curve step on with the difficult plant, learn how they can survive, make a nice design ( maybe nothing superspecial) and let them live happy....
You can call it the easy way if you want, but to me it just makes more sense and good use of time. It's like training a race horse that will never race...why? The OP will have plenty of time to learn lessons and get experience on a tree that could be a good one someday verses what he's working on. Just MO of course.

Live Happy...?? Not sure I understand that.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
The responder is the OP. I don’t disagree with you August but I also don’t presume to know what the OP has access too. I relatively quickly have set a base for quality of tree I’d be willing to bother with. Where that base lies though is different for different people.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Live Happy...?? Not sure I understand that.
Live happy I mean, keep the plant healthy and in a nice condition..
I don't want only train race horses. Every plant is different and you can work on this differences, you can make super nice plant and also only nice plant that you can keep as is.
That is MO

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good Sunlight and care until 2024 IF in great health by then. Seems there's few growing sprouts on this tree🤔.

minkes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Scots pine (Pinus Silvestris)? 🤔🤔 I don’t think so. Probably Pinus Nigra. Everything else was said 😉

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Good Sunlight and care until 2024 IF in great health by then. Seems there's few growing sprouts on this tree🤔.
Will do it, yes the plant was really sufferent, she was 4 weeks in a black plastic bag inside the green garbage of a plant seller....
Hopefully he will do new grows, now after a 20-20-20 plus osmocote treatment :)
Its a miracle that is still alive .

Scots pine (Pinus Silvestris)? 🤔🤔 I don’t think so. Probably Pinus Nigra.
Mhhh I have no idea maybe a ABP

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sufferent, she was 4 weeks in a black plastic bag inside the green garbage of a plant seller....
For next time.. This is information you should give at the beginning.
This makes that I have great concerns for the long term future of this tree. Please proove me wrong in 6 months.

Top Bottom