An unusual Trident

Consider this branch.

5EFAD40E-4896-42F0-81FE-586C107EE37F.JPG

There are multiple issues here.
IMG_5194.JPG

The left part of the branch extends directly toward the front. The two branches at A are the same strength. The branch section at B is straight. No taper and no branching. The branch at C splits at a poor angle - too wide. Should be more acute.

So what are the choices?

We could cut here:
IMG_5197.JPG

This would eliminate a bunch of problems. Unfortunately it would also create a branch that crosses the front.

Alternatively, we could eliminate the branch altogether like this:
IMG_5198.JPG

Let's do that:
EE9EE5E4-6F6E-4C55-AB5D-99FDED07D184.JPG

We do this over the whole tree, making choices at every branch. You can do a bit of wiring to redirect some growth - use heavy gauge though, the branches are lignified now and not easy to bend. You really won't be able to put much movement on anything larger than a match stick - movement with wiring is more effective when the branches are green. At that time we can put a lot of movement on them.

I would:

1/ Remove the 1st branch on the left (1)
2/ Turn the tree to the right (2)
3/ Change the inclination (3)

acerb.jpeg

I would:

1/ Remove the 1st branch on the left (1)
2/ Turn the tree to the right (2)
3/ Change the inclination (3)

View attachment 128925

Thanks Alain. Lots of people don't like the big first branch. But for me it's one of the things that makes this tree unique. Without it, it would be an unexceptional regular bonsai, at least for me.

Scott

... another option could be to keep only (1)

But the right angle between (1) and (3) seems very awkward to me.

Very nice detailed work scott, thanks! I'd love to see the tree structure as a whole without leaves if you have a shot.

Without it, it would be an unexceptional regular bonsai, at least for me.

I understand your point of view.

And even if I have a different opinion, I just must encourage you to keep up to your idea: it's so boring when people "do bonsaï" the way "it should"... :rolleyes:

what about keeping that first branch and getting rid of everything on top of it? I sort of agree that removing the bottom branch means you'd get a more cookie cutter big trident. But the design with both the top and the first big branch doesn't work for me. I'd go bold and just keep the big branch for a unique tree

Scott, excellent progression and demonstration post, I like how you have explained what was done every step of the way. I'm not going to bore you with what I would do with this tree, it certainly has it's challenges, rather I'm going to sit back and enjoy the thread. One question I do have though is on the first page you used a chisel to remove a couple large roots, I've never seen this before, why a chisel and not a saw? I suspect you can shape it better with a chisel?

Scott, excellent progression and demonstration post, I like how you have explained what was done every step of the way. I'm not going to bore you with what I would do with this tree, it certainly has it's challenges, rather I'm going to sit back and enjoy the thread. One question I do have though is on the first page you used a chisel to remove a couple large roots, I've never seen this before, why a chisel and not a saw? I suspect you can shape it better with a chisel?

Hi Guy - I feel as though I have more control on the shape whittling the wound away with hand tools. I remove large amounts of material with a saw, but then I always fine tune the cut with hand tools.

Scott

Thanks for the follow up Scott, the more I looked at it the more I started seeing it. I just don't think I've seen rootwork with a chisel before.

Thanks for the follow up Scott, the more I looked at it the more I started seeing it. I just don't think I've seen rootwork with a chisel before.

It worked really well. I'll try and remember to take a close up tomorrow some you can see what it looks like a few years on.

Scott

I think the tree is awesome. How long will it take for the third graft to make that portion if the trunk larger? When the tree was younger did they let the first branch on the right grow to big?

Back
Top Bottom