Akadama (would like to understand its use, and how to water using it as substrate (indoors mainly ) )

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
So was recommended akadama for pomegranate indoors (outdoors spring summer fall when warm enough). I currently potted up in 8 inch azalea clay pot and saucer to grow on until later larger to bonsai. I used akadama and medium perilte for bottom 3.5" inches and pure akadama on top 3.5". (Mai. Thoughts were to have enough moisture retention but also breathe enough on upper layer. Wanted to ask if best (or can be saucer watered daily and then top watered every so often or if best to always top water). Once potted up I ran water from.top until drained freely and then set the azalea pot and saucer on germination mat set to 80°f (read pomegranates prefer temps 80°f to 110°f (so hoping the bottom heat as rises and is separated via saucer and akadama will entice good growth ) and its under couple grow lights which my shefflera grows super healthy under indoors. Any thoughts greatly welcomed or critiques if over thinking this. Thanks . Indoors tempature is 73°f and ceiling fan runs on medium , other house plants sway and show great string Indoor growth no weakness nor any elongated growth so ik light and wind/air circulation is great . Also humidity (given I have reptiles )is maintained around 68- 73% relative humidity levels.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
or critiques if over thinking this
You are.
I mean this with all due respect and I wish you all the best.

Try something, see how it goes. If that doesn't work well, change one thing at a time. Plants don't adhere to plannings, they either perform or they don't. The performance can be great, good, acceptable, mediocre, below par, or bad. In the latter three, we try and find a cause and then zone in on how to tackle those causes. Many "If I do this, will that be the result?" questions can't be answered without writing an entire book about it. There is a page called introduction to soil physics somewhere on this forum, and we've all contributed a great deal on soil physiology. I'd suggest you start your journey there and post any related questions in that thread, this makes it easier for people to use quotes from that same page that others might have missed.

Keep in mind that people recommend you things, and that they often have a reasoning behind it. They'll probably don't tell unless you ask, so if it sounds like a good suggestion or recommendation to you, I believe you're absolutely free to ask for more information!

It might also help to provide some structure in your questions; I know not all brains work the same, mine is a clutter by default. This means I spend an extra ten minutes on my writings, so that the message is both effective and rounded. But that also means that I'm having a hard time deciphering your questions and getting to the core of what your challenge is and how to help you.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
You are.
I mean this with all due respect and I wish you all the best.

Try something, see how it goes. If that doesn't work well, change one thing at a time. Plants don't adhere to plannings, they either perform or they don't. The performance can be great, good, acceptable, mediocre, below par, or bad. In the latter three, we try and find a cause and then zone in on how to tackle those causes. Many "If I do this, will that be the result?" questions can't be answered without writing an entire book about it. There is a page called introduction to soil physics somewhere on this forum, and we've all contributed a great deal on soil physiology. I'd suggest you start your journey there and post any related questions in that thread, this makes it easier for people to use quotes from that same page that others might have missed.

Keep in mind that people recommend you things, and that they often have a reasoning behind it. They'll probably don't tell unless you ask, so if it sounds like a good suggestion or recommendation to you, I believe you're absolutely free to ask for more information!

It might also help to provide some structure in your questions; I know not all brains work the same, mine is a clutter by default. This means I spend an extra ten minutes on my writings, so that the message is both effective and rounded. But that also means that I'm having a hard time deciphering your questions and getting to the core of what your challenge is and how to help you.
Definitely apreciate response and makes sense alot . I'll read up on that post and greatful to everyone here

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
One of the problems with relying on other growers' recommendations is that not all akadama is the same. It is a natural product so it varies depending on which area it comes from and even which part of the quarry. Akadama can be hard and drain well or softer and break down to hold lots of water. As well as taking advice you will also have to watch and modify your care depending how the akadama you have sourced behaves.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
One of the problems with relying on other growers' recommendations is that not all akadama is the same. It is a natural product so it varies depending on which area it comes from and even which part of the quarry. Akadama can be hard and drain well or softer and break down to hold lots of water. As well as taking advice you will also have to watch and modify your care depending how the akadama you have sourced behaves.
5his makes alot sense , thank you. This is the akadama I was recommended and went with. 7mm uniform size

Attachments

• 20240124_062911.jpg
    20240124_062911.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240124_062929.jpg
    20240124_062929.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom