M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm down to 8.
That's all.
I lost every tree I owned this spring.
Rain,freeze,warmth,freeze,rain,warmth.
Nothing I could really do about it but let them go.
No garage.
Going to keep going though.
Trees come and trees go.
At least here they do.
Looks like I'll always be a beginner.

That’s terrible. Sorry to hear.

Have you considered building a hoop house or some type of greenhouse? I know you get a lot of snow, so it would have to be sturdy.

Wishing you the best!

Cruel bit of news! Sorry to hear that. Triple digits here killed a ton of members trees off this year. I lost two big cypress.

I'm down to 8.
That's all.
I lost every tree I owned this spring.
Rain,freeze,warmth,freeze,rain,warmth.
Nothing I could really do about it but let them go.
No garage.
Going to keep going though.
Trees come and trees go.
At least here they do.
Looks like I'll always be a beginner.
I feel you. This year has been awful. Lost 2 of my best collected trees and several others due to fungus from 2 moves and horrible water. Massively disheartening. But as you say. Trees will come and trees will go and we keep doing our bonsai song and dance. Stay up man.

So sorry to hear Mike. For those of us in the upper regions of the country, the weather can be one of our worst enemies. And seems to be getting increasingly more unpredictable.

Hope you can slowly build up your collection once again but suggest as Adair mentioned getting some sort of hoop house or other protective measures. It will help you greatly!

It's all good people.
Thanks for the replies.
I've suffered losses since I moved to this place almost every year.
My last house I actually kept them in the basement. Worked great.
Voles mainly.
As a lot of you know this shit won't stop me.
I've probably lost or killed more trees than anyone here.
All my fault I will admit.
I'll just get more.

It's all good people.
Thanks for the replies.
I've suffered losses since I moved to this place almost every year.
My last house I actually kept them in the basement. Worked great.
Voles mainly.
As a lot of you know this shit won't stop me.
I've probably lost or killed more trees than anyone here.
All my fault I will admit.
I'll just get more.

Well you don't have eight trees, you at least have nine - because one of mine belongs to you.

You may have thought I forgot, what with the chaos that has affected me personally this year, cross-country move, etc, but I still have one with your name on it that will be heading your way in the spring as soon as you tell me it is safe to ship.

I have a lot of pre bonsai plants lined out. They are young plants but I have many and I am sure I have something that will grow in your zone. If you remind me in the spring I will gladly send you something. But please don't rely on my memory. Get back to me when your spring arrives.
Please do.

Woah. I feel for you.
I imagine being the Bonsai Godzilla has its drawbacks. Mass destruction and casualty is not all fun and games. You truly do seem to have thick skin though- handling it well!

This weather has been horrific. Like you, here in MN., 40 degree shifts are becoming normal.
I’m bracing for big losses next spring.
Take care and keep on ruling the lands!!!

Case in point. 2 days ago, it looked like a winter wonderland. Sledding and snowball fights. Today, I’m consoling our snowman. “It will be ok, we will see you again soon.”
F8C2002B-B2A1-4AF1-B05A-AF845F3A90F1.jpeg

ugh.
Sorry to hear this @M. Frary
I lost a few this year as well.
I just did an expansion on my cold frame to move more out of the garage and into that so that I dont have such an issue with early leafout with some of my deciduous.

Not sure how you overwinter your trees. As I recall you just put them on the ground? Have you thought about putting them up against the foundation of your house?
They would get more wind protection there and the foundation might mitigate some of the fluctiation.

You are one tough dude to push through this much heartbreak. I hope you do keep at it, maybe figure on only keeping like 10 total, a storage area that small shouldn’t be too hard to work out. Ten good trees is a good goal. Wish you the best!

Don't like to hear of losses, but 8 trees sounds like Nirvana to me. ;)

Back
Top Bottom