Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Maples n More Nursery
232 Blue Branch Road
Burnsville, NC 28714

Located in a small valley off a larger valley in the Appalachian Mountains, Maples n More Nursery is one of those locations where you can't decide which is nicer - the setting or the trees.

mnm1.jpg

Horace and Lisa are the nicest possible hosts for your visit to the nursery - and their cat, Lucy, couldn't be friendlier. The nursery is laid out on their property so that the upper areas are focused on propagation, while much of their retail selection is in the lower field closer to the road.

mnm2.jpg

Being in the mountains at close to 3,000 feet elevation, Burnsville is about a month behind Charlotte in terms of spring season and is located in USDA zone 6b/7a. For our visit (May 10), the trees were in mid-spring color.

mnm3.jpg

Horace and Lisa focus primarily on Japanese maples, but they have a selection of other interesting species scattered about.

mnm4.jpg

Larger landscape-sized trees were organized down by the lower hoop house, with many tucked among the landscape for shade and wind protection.

mnm5.jpg

While we were visiting, Lisa was working feverishly to organize their larger retail hoop house - fertilizing trees and organizing them loosely by cultivar name.

mnm6.jpg

As is often the case, the selection at a good Japanese maple nursery can almost be endless. Every time I would turn around Horace would introduce me to a new cultivar as "this is probably my favorite!"

mnm7.jpg

Maples n More ships trees - and in addition to standard nursery containers (trade gallon and up) they also offer grafted liners for $14 - $18 if you are interested in purchasing large quantities of smaller trees to pot up for future use, or to plant in a grow-out bed or landscape. I highly recommend a visit! Combine it with a stay in the mountains for a long weekend of shopping, hiking and dining! Horace and Lisa are in the process of bringing one of their houses online as an AirBnb... if you are brave enough to book a stay in a nursery. Bring a trailer!

mtn1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom