A twist on the metal washer

johnl445

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am using a metal washer on some of my young trees in hopes of creating some Nabari as the tree grows. I can easily find this galvanized metal at work, it’s only 1/16” thick and cuts easily. I drilled the hole, and instead of trying to thread the tree through the hole and risk damaging the buds, I Realized, I can just make an intersecting slice at the hole, and bend into the metal into the open position, place the tree inside and then flatten the metal. IMG_9561.jpegIMG_9562.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Love to see the results!

Wondering though, wouldnt it be wise to also throw a screw on the opposite side of the access cut?

cheers
DSD sends

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Also interested to see results.
I use a lot of similar sheet metal for threading seedlings but have not tried this split idea to open up around larger trunks.
Not sure what purpose the boards serve in this case. The sheet metal will produce horizontal roots so the board just seems a redundant added extra which may even be detrimental when the roots can't get into deeper soil for moisture. Just my 2c

bluone23

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Very interesting, looking forward to see the results

johnl445

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Also interested to see results.
I use a lot of similar sheet metal for threading seedlings but have not tried this split idea to open up around larger trunks.
Not sure what purpose the boards serve in this case. The sheet metal will produce horizontal roots so the board just seems a redundant added extra which may even be detrimental when the roots can't get into deeper soil for moisture. Just my 2c
Ok, I didn’t think of that. I can lose the board. I just remember seeing a lot of people mounting trees on a board to organize the roots and use nails to keep the roots from moving.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have used a piece of aluminum similarly. Worked fine except for a few roots wiggling in between the split ends. Screwing it to a board like you have would minimize that and also would do a better job keeping the new roots separated from the old root ball. I would leave the board.

Top Bottom