1st time making Bonsai from half dead Spruce!! What do you think?

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
it’s all a learning curve. One thing I would add . There are also a difficulty of trees to work with curve . And picea is high in that curve . It’s considered the tree of masters in Japan . As pointed out one insult a season . Go slow with spruce . If you want to continue with another spruce. I would recommend a garden nursery tree with a established root system . Repot it into a fairly large pot with bonsai soil . And leave it alone for at least a year .and learn how to keep it healthy , In the meantime there are tough trees to learn . Bonsai on . Get several . A option that is often overlooked . By people starting off . Use trees that are native to where they live . They have multiple advantages . The most important of these is . There 100 percent locked into . The climate where you are . This should never be overlooked . They also should be very easy to acquire. As mentioned join a local club . Good luck and most key have fun . Trees grow slowly . Bonsai takes time . Use that time to learn as you go . It’s the journey that matters .

bennybonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Thanks for the advice frozen tree hugger. It seams to be doing really well two months after the three insults which I'm happy with. It has lots of new buds which I'm assuming are about to open. I'm not paying much attention to the rules at this point, as I think it's best to just learn from my mistakes and then I'll abide by my own rules. But this isn't to say that I don't listen or take advice that is given, I'm just not taking rules as gospel and it seams to be paying off for the time being. I'll post some updated pics soon.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the advice frozen tree hugger. It seams to be doing really well two months after the three insults which I'm happy with. It has lots of new buds which I'm assuming are about to open. I'm not paying much attention to the rules at this point, as I think it's best to just learn from my mistakes and then I'll abide by my own rules. But this isn't to say that I don't listen or take advice that is given, I'm just not taking rules as gospel and it seams to be paying off for the time being. I'll post some updated pics soon.
That’s good to hear . A large aspect of bonsai . Is learning how recover trees . And grow them vigorously. At end of the day we torture trees . Then try to heal them so we can torture them some more . The healing part is very important to learn . Just remember . Big moves can have big rewards . And are even necessary in some instantaneous . But they have more risk . Age and quality of the material can be a factor . Glad it’s working out .

Top Bottom