17 year cicadas

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We seem to have a huge population this time around. They are just waking up and starting to make their racket. Has anyone ever had damage from these on their bonsai, or do they look for large trees to lay their eggs on?

We had our 17 year cycle here in Lower Hudson Valley region of NY a couple of years ago. It was horrible. Noise was incredible. Even with windows closed and AC on you could hear them day and night. There were dozens of them on every branch, they covered the sidewalks almost to the point you could not avoid stepping on them. They'd land on you, splat on your windshield.

And yes they would easily damage your trees.

Interestingly it was very localized. We had almost none near my house, but my brother-in-law who only lives about a 1/4 mile from us had tons of them as noted above.

I covered all of my trees with netting/shade cloth as a precaution anyway.

Good luck.

I had never heard of these... amazing that between 13 and 17 years they synchronously all appear at once.

I had never heard of these... amazing that between 13 and 17 years they synchronously all appear at once.
They are fairly big and freaky looking. Especially when it's in your hair.
I had hair once.

That shirt is BANGGIN'!!!!!
70's were quite the time, had one much worse than that....with the big gap between my "too soon" front teeth!!:eek:

Our rush was last year - havn't heard a thing this year

Oh no. I've never been handsome.
But I was a ginger.
Now that is one stylish shirt.
Goes great with the hair. Wish I still had both.

Oh my!

I think I'll never post a photo of my own little self when I was in my teens, I already have enough opportunities to make an ass out of myself :D

But I was quite a nice little kid I think, things got worse when I grew up.

Alain3.jpg

Our rush was last year - havn't heard a thing this year
It's interesting to watch them hatch. Ever see a Cicada shell around? It's just a brown color shell....nothing inside....almost translucent light brown. Crunchy....when empty. That's what's left after a hatch. A new Cicada grows out of the shell from a previous life. They try to hang on something when they cease living...a stem...a brick...branch....then the new Cicada sort of slips out in the warmth of the next year. During the hatch day and evening....their wings dry out...bodies plump up and then they take flight for food. I took photos and a short video one summer.

I usually don't see or hear them until late July or August.

These may not be the cicadas you're thinking of @Tieball - the 17 year cycle ones come out early summer. We have the normal ones in the fall as well, but I never see much damage from them. These are cool and creepy with super red eyes. Apparently they do the damage when they lay the eggs, although I understand they feed by sucking liquid out of trees too.

These may not be the cicadas you're thinking of @Tieball - the 17 year cycle ones come out early summer. We have the normal ones in the fall as well, but I never see much damage from them. These are cool and creepy with super red eyes. Apparently they do the damage when they lay the eggs, although I understand they feed by sucking liquid out of trees too.
Yeah, these are insane. Like a biblical plague.

Pulled these off the interwebs from NY 2013 Brood II. Turn up the volume...its creepy..and it went on like that day and night for weeks.

Back
Top Bottom