Willow leaf f. Cutting

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is an odd predicament; one of my cuttings actually took. Fortunately I am not too worried about the basil as it is past it's prime and I just noticed some scale on it. The cutting has taken over the past several months while sitting indoors under t5 in a vase with some hydroponic basil. The basil does seem to keep the Mosquitos away even if the flowers make it taste bitter.

image.jpg

Hopefully I got enough roots there. Weird sensation slicing through that mess.image.jpg

That's very cool. Good job.

image.jpg

This cutting has really taken off, but look at the size of those internodes. I am guessing it is because I leave it in a drainage dish that hold on to water for long periods. I did that because of it's hydroponic background, but after Martha's lecture this weekend, I believe I will be keeping it a little dryer since the species was apparently originally sourced from the Mexican desert.

Long internodes could be due to less light or maybe heavy fertilization? It looks really healthy. I have found that my ficus seem to grow better in my completely inorganic soil versus the same soil with a portion of pine bark in the mix.

It could be the fertilization. I have been using dyna grow with every watering per the directions for using with every watering. Monthly, I boost the nitrogen with some 20-10-10 miracle grow without micros. I am also using very little organics. ~30% lava - ~60% turface mvp and ~5-10% orchid sphagnum (very long pieces not chopped).

I believe the light level is pretty high. I think it gets direct sunlight from about 10:30 or 11:00am until 6 or 7 o' clock although I haven't been real scientific about measuring the light levels.

At any rate, internodes aren't a real issue yet since I am just trying to fatten it up at this point. I have a couple other cuttings off of the same ficus that aren't as far along yet. I'll need to start giving(or trading) some away soon.

I bet it's definitely the fertilizer then. The other day I was thinking about internodes and it seems to me that the longer internodes from heavy fertilization aren't bad if you're just growing out for girth. It's going to get chopped back anyway and the longer growth means more pathways the plant has to create to support the length. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno. I've only been at this a year. :p

At least it is healthy, but I'm not crazy about the new apex.. There is a former bud that I was hoping for that has since turned black.

One question: does anyone think I should keep the back branch? It was really a fallback plan in case the leader didn't take, but now it has buds closer to the trunk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 436
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 346
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 320
I would leave it to help keep fattening it up. You grow yours ficus indoors year round?

No, I put them out as soon as the lows get above 45. I get a lot of growth with the LEDs, but nothing beats a real growing season outdoors. I think the placement is in the wrong place for thickening or taper at this point. Maybe I'll try and graft it to the leader to get those lower buds I was hoping for.

For now you just need to grow it and dont chop anything...it can benefit from a larger pot.
It is a fig so it will back bud one day when you chop it back.

Here is an update. I should probably bend that thickening branch down while I still can. I'm having pretty good luck with back-budding while letting the one branch run. I see some buds forming on the new leader so that I could avoid that right angle at the top, but it is kind of growing on me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 336
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 333
I like the grove style base but the natural leaf size of ficuses will put it out of proportion and make it less tree like unless its fatten up a lot more

I hear you about thickening it up, and that is what I am doing by running the sacrifice branch out so long. I figure I can always grow it out more later, but if you don't put some effort into the design early, than you lose that potential. I think the progress is pretty good considering it is less than two years from a cutting. It has also been back budding like crazy (even more since the photo) while growing out one branch at a time. I think Dorothy showed/inspired the technique for growing out one branch at a time to/for me. I'm not sure if her rational for the technique is the same reason that I like it so much, but letting one branch run, I have found to let the plant thicken in a controlled manner while building energy, without letting the design get out of control or letting the growth get too far away from the trunk.

A quick update. One photo from a few weeks ago when the sacrifice was still in place. And another one from just now because I noticed how happy and red it was looking in my rigged up led floodlight aquarium setup. I think being right in front of the fan doesn't give the spider mites a chance. I haven't measured heat and humidity this indoor season, but they are both up there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 308
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 324
A quick update. One photo from a few weeks ago when the sacrifice was still in place. And another one from just now because I noticed how happy and red it was looking in my rigged up led floodlight aquarium setup. I think being right in front of the fan doesn't give the spider mites a chance. I haven't measured heat and humidity this indoor season, but they are both up there.

Lots of nice new red growth on it, must have defoliated after removing the sacrifice ? Looks like you are keeping it happy.

ed

Nope, no defoliation. It is just enjoying the pseudo summer. Development increases when I bring them in and put them in the tank... Until I get a spider mite invasion. Hopefully cranking up the fan will help out with those. I did see at least one predator still around when I brought them in. Fast mites are good.

image.jpeg image.jpeg It has filled out a bit. I did a light trimming but want to focus on growing out some sacrifice on the second branch to catch it up to the first.
This is also for Jim Lewis, my teacher for many years whether he was aware or not. This tree is just his size.

Back
Top Bottom