RMJ

looking good mate, although the crossing bits caught my eye just above the V shape there

Yeah I agree. I think this will be the styling it wants next year. I tried hard to make the multiple trunks work but it never seemed to look right.
View attachment 458578
could it just be a matter of cutting back the branches on the left side of the right trunk shorter? I dunno, im sure you'll come to a good decision though.

Pretty sure I’m going to still jin that last trunk. I also need to jin quite a few sub branches to make it look a bit more wild. I also sanded the trunk all over and lime sulfured the dead wood.
View attachment 458576
You are doing a great job with this tree! The design is really coming along, and the foliage seems to be playing nicely.

My 2c is to leave the lower trunk. This a simple and nice tree. Taking that second trunk away would remove a lot of its character/charm. I would try to grow out the right side to push the asymmetry more to the right instead of removing it.

I also like the second trunk.
You may have starred at it a bit to long. 🤣
I think it’s working nicely together and may just be a matter of refining it.

could it just be a matter of cutting back the branches on the left side of the right trunk shorter? I dunno, im sure you'll come to a good decision though.
You are doing a great job with this tree! The design is really coming along, and the foliage seems to be playing nicely.

My 2c is to leave the lower trunk. This a simple and nice tree. Taking that second trunk away would remove a lot of its character/charm. I would try to grow out the right side to push the asymmetry more to the right instead of removing it.
I also like the second trunk.
You may have starred at it a bit to long. 🤣
I think it’s working nicely together and may just be a matter of refining it.
I think you all may be right! Just need to refine a bit more. I think jinning some strategic branches/tertiary branches will help the balance and add some age.

Of the two subtrunks you removed the one I would have kept. Now I’m thinking you could jin the top half of that subtrunk, but keep the bottom branches to fill out your triangle.

Oh, and I’d think about removing long jin, it makes the tree seem younger to have a long jin like that.

Of the two subtrunks you removed the one I would have kept. Now I’m thinking you could jin the top half of that subtrunk, but keep the bottom branches to fill out your triangle.

Oh, and I’d think about removing long jin, it makes the tree seem younger to have a long jin like that.
Yeah it may have not been the best idea, but thought I’d be a bit bold with my decision making. I will say, that third trunk was starting to show signs of stress similar to that of the year before. Rather than try and nurse that trunk back again, I nipped it. Maybe shows my impatience more than I’d like to admit. 😬

Yeah it may have not been the best idea, but thought I’d be a bit bold with my decision making. I will say, that third trunk was starting to show signs of stress similar to that of the year before. Rather than try and nurse that trunk back again, I nipped it. Maybe shows my impatience more than I’d like to admit. 😬

Eh. You may have made the right decision, lord knows I’m no expert. 😂

Got to repotting this RMJ after 2 years. Put it in this Dave Lowman rectangle. Rotated this tree about 5-7 degrees to give a better balance of both trunks. Nice dense rootball of feeder roots. Removed some thicker surface roots that were not actually doing much and do not improve the appearance. Needs a good rewire here at some point. I’ll let it rest for a bit first.
50C91BA4-10A3-4642-929D-720D793F2023.jpeg

The new jin on the lowest right branch does a great job bringing the eye around and along with the thinning in the middle allows the somewhat shape of the canopy to stand out sharper/better. Quite an inspiring transformation in 3 years time.

Looks great. Any consideration given to changing the planting angle? A 20° tilt to the right would improve the base. That would make the jin about vertical, but I’d shorten that too.

Looks great. Any consideration given to changing the planting angle? A 20° tilt to the right would improve the base. That would make the jin about vertical, but I’d shorten that too.
I think it’s a good idea. I also think the pot is not the best choice. Too heavy for the size of the trunk.

I think the size of the pot is fine, but to my (notably, colorblind!) eyes, the shade of the composition look a little washed out.

Do you always use aluminum? I'm wondering at about what level of wiring skill folks tend to "graduate" to copper, but your trees seem far above the level I usually see that change, so I was curious if you had particular reasons to use it in this case.

I think the size of the pot is fine, but to my (notably, colorblind!) eyes, the shade of the composition look a little washed out.

Do you always use aluminum? I'm wondering at about what level of wiring skill folks tend to "graduate" to copper, but your trees seem far above the level I usually see that change, so I was curious if you had particular reasons to use it in this case.
It’s def washed out. I was just thinking earlier how much better all of photographs would look in proper light, correct background and good color balancing.

I don’t always use aluminum. I’ve used copper quite a bit, but in this case it’s what I had available last year. I added more wire just yesterday and wanted to keep the color consistent. Though I will say, I don’t always feel the need to order copper just to wire my conifers. Aluminum holds just fine, you just need larger gauges and it doesn’t patina in a nice way like copper. But it’s available to me locally so much easier and cheaper to buy. Also, I wired this RMJ with coppper when first styled, but I noticed how ridiculously easy the bark slips on this one in particular. Something that is harder to control with the stiffer copper wire.

Back
Top Bottom