Prunus serotina

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I dug up a very respectable stump yesterday.

I've been hearing these things are so disease prone, they aren't even worth it.

Question....is it the foliage which is susceptible to all this crap? Should I actually consider grafting another type of foliage?

I've been thinking about air layering a branch off of a pretty little weeping cherry in my yard and potting it

Its a grafted tree, of course, and somewhat surprisingly it never throws basal shoots or suckers, or anything from below the graft, which is a bout a 5 foot pole of a trunk. Just a mop top of weeping branches from above the graft.

I have heard similar reports about these being disease prone, but mostly from growers in the southern tier of states.

I would suggest giving it a try as is, without grafting. One issue is they do need full sun, site the tree in an spot with unobstructed sun, against a fence, wall or building blocks a lot of light. The open full sun position should help keep fungal & bacterial issues at bay. You should know by two or three years in whether disease will be a chronic issue. In the landscape the survive long enough to reproduce, they are somewhat common in the landscape. So they do thrive locally.

I have heard similar reports about these being disease prone, but mostly from growers in the southern tier of states.

I would suggest giving it a try as is, without grafting. One issue is they do need full sun, site the tree in an spot with unobstructed sun, against a fence, wall or building blocks a lot of light. The open full sun position should help keep fungal & bacterial issues at bay. You should know by two or three years in whether disease will be a chronic issue. In the landscape the survive long enough to reproduce, they are somewhat common in the landscape. So they do thrive locally.

You the man.

Attachments

• 20200416_103126.jpg
    20200416_103126.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 148
It is not a cherry, it is Rhamsus cathrticus. Glossy buckthorn. The orange inner bark is the telling identifying mark.

Very invasive tree, tough as nails, just gets mildew. Nothing but fire and garlon kill it.

It is not a cherry, it is Rhamsus cathrticus. Glossy buckthorn. The orange inner bark is the telling identifying mark.

Very invasive tree, tough as nails, just gets mildew. Nothing but fire and garlon kill it.

Cherry doesn't have that, eh? If that's the case I'm slapping some other foliage on it.

This one is confirmed 100% without a doubt a cherry. Was about to bloom with those white flowers AND it was amongst others.

See that little nick with the orange-ish inner bark?

Maybe I still have hope for the other one.

Provided they survive.

Attachments

• 20200418_194958.jpg
    20200418_194958.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 20200418_193829.jpg
    20200418_193829.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 83
OK, so they are both buckthorn.

I've had just about enough of this....

I still don't know how to deal with the foliage, but I suppose I will try. Decent base.

Attachments

• 20200528_142004.jpg
    20200528_142004.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200528_141912.jpg
    20200528_141912.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 20200528_141851.jpg
    20200528_141851.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 75
After 3 year mine keeps putting crotch branches from the trunk, low buds, etc, so you have time to figure it out, or restart it!

Sorce

OK, so they are both buckthorn.

I've had just about enough of this....

I still don't know how to deal with the foliage, but I suppose I will try. Decent base.
You mean like confirmed 100% without a doubt no worse than flu?

LOL I joke ;)

Both nice trunks, particularly the first. I really want to see some awesome buckthorn bonsai, even if it is in invasive SOB in the USA, so keep on keeping on!

What thread was it that I was talking about wilting wet Buckthorn?

Wilting today again. With completely wet soil.

Moved to shade.

Sorce

Did some hacking today. Hands are tired. More tomorrow.

I hate everything about the general growing habits. Fall color is garbage. Fibrous stems which dont bend, and also snap off at the base. Maybe the redeeming qualities will be in winter. ..

...buried under snow.

Screw this abomination.

Attachments

• 20201021_171359.jpg
    20201021_171359.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 62
Were this post under the "say something nice" thread, I'd comment something along the lines of how I like your willingness to admit when you're wrong (Cherry/100%Cherry/Yeah-its-a-buckthorn) ...almost as much as I like your profile picture.

Back
Top Bottom