jade pruning advice?

99 Mile Creek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Any advice on how to cut this back? It was overgrown with no wiring for a while, and I just finished for the evening. Not really sure where I should go with this.

Attachments

• 16apr2-24 wilson 4.jpg
    16apr2-24 wilson 4.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 16apr2024 wilson 3.jpg
    16apr2024 wilson 3.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 65
Two more photos

Attachments

• 16apr2024 wilson 5.jpg
    16apr2024 wilson 5.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 16apr2024 wilson 6.jpg
    16apr2024 wilson 6.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 60
The trunk base is very nice. Personally, I would go in and savagely thin it down to a very simple profile, removing all of that inner growth and keeping the branches that are left-right-back, etc. Space them out in a manner that "lets the birds fly through." That aside, there's a chance you'll uncover some reverse taper in that little nest. If so, you'll want to plan the design to hide it if possible Note that others may have a completely different opinion so be sure to take mine with a grain of salt! Good luck!

The trunk base is very nice. Personally, I would go in and savagely thin it down to a very simple profile, removing all of that inner growth and keeping the branches that are left-right-back, etc. Space them out in a manner that "lets the birds fly through." That aside, there's a chance you'll uncover some reverse taper in that little nest. If so, you'll want to plan the design to hide it if possible Note that others may have a completely different opinion so be sure to take mine with a grain of salt! Good luck!
Thanks! I was having trouble figuring out which should be the lead/apex. So many uniform branches are straight up, yet not centered. ‘Letting the birds fly though’ gave me a nice mental image. I’ll try and upload more photos tomorrow.

‘Letting the birds fly though’
Awesome! That phrase was an epiphany for me a while back and I still use it all the time to put the design into perspective. You're probably already going down this track, but just in case... make sure low branches are thick and anything above is thinner, etc. I know it sounds so obvious but I've spent hours staring at trees debating the subject in my head. LOL!

Awesome! That phrase was an epiphany for me a while back and I still use it all the time to put the design into perspective. You're probably already going down this track, but just in case... make sure low branches are thick and anything above is thinner, etc. I know it sounds so obvious but I've spent hours staring at trees debating the subject in my head. LOL!
I really hope this is decent. I found some reverse-tapering limbs I needed to hack, and after felt it was overly pruned. Necessary, most likely.

I've attached photos redlined for a potential cut. I'm uncertain.

It will grow like a weed in to time, I'm sure.

Attachments

• 17apr 1.jpg
    17apr 1.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 17apr 2.jpg
    17apr 2.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 17apr 3.jpg
    17apr 3.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 17apr 2 edit.jpg
    17apr 2 edit.jpg