Ficus Defoliation

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have let this ficus grow out since its initial trunk chop.
Three goals for the defoliation:

1st I just want to see how things are progressing and that is hard to do with all the new growth.
2nd I would like to increase ramification.
3rd Hoping to decrease leaf size.

After Trunk Chop.
20171021_171248_001.jpg
Prior to Defoliation:
20190302_152450.jpg

2 hours later.......good grief there were a lot of leaves on that thing. I had to call for reinforcements.

Couple of things I have learned about ficus defoliation:

Timing Matters so check with others to see when the optimal time to defoliate is in your area....right before spring and past the time for frost is best in our area. You can defoliate at other times but this seems best.

Only defoliate a healthy tree. It is stressful for the tree. You can defoliate a healthy ficus a couple times a year if not more.

A couple of ideas about cutting the leaves:
Have a sharp tool that has been sanitized. I like to use these suture scissors (we have a doc in our club that brings these in by the bagful). They are curved, small, and very sharp.
20190303_134553.jpg
Make your cuts at the base of the leaf and stem (pettiole)
You do not want to cut the axillary bud at the leaf base so I leave a bit of stem.
20190303_141403.jpg

If you want to increase energy flow to certain parts of your ficus you can leave the leaves on those branches to keep the energy flowing. In this instance I defoliated the entire tree.
One leaf left.
20190303_134238.jpg
20190303_134515.jpg
20190303_134527.jpg
Half a bucket full of leaves.
20190303_134419.jpg

I am happy with the growth of the tree since the chop. Now to cut out some branches and do some wiring. Will update in the future.
The future is now!
I'm curious for the results I am about to defoliate my ficus as soon its going to move back outside again thnx for showing your way of doing this!

While I don't work with benjamina, I do defoliate ficus when I bring them outside for the first time. Indoor leaves are adapted to lower light conditions. Moving outside means either babying them in the shade, or defoliating and moving immediately to full sun. The latter approach tends to result in a whole tree with smaller leaves.

Back
Top Bottom