Ficus b. (too ugly)

Sounds like a good idea to me. It will look more like a tree and you get to see that great trunk line!
I always leave the lower branches in place, I think because I am stuck in the developing material, generate taper mindset. I’ll give it a little time to show growth from the trimming I gave it last night and then re-approach.

A little update. Tons of berries again this year. I’ll probably repot in a month or so, as it has been quite a while. The hydroponic winters have the drain hole well clogged with root wood.IMG_7607.jpegIMG_7608.jpeg

Mother plant looking better

I favored the cutting for a while, but mama scored some points with the new pot. Repotted at a home and garden expo with the club. I thing I need to plant much deeper the next time around and do a slow emerge to try and put some fine feeders over those dreadful wiring scars.
I don’t think mama has been repotted since this post 10 years ago. Definitely overdue.

IMG_7612.jpegIMG_7611.jpegAnyone recognize the chop? I know it is hard to make out.

And, look at all those berries.

I was thinking to take off all the berries and wait for strong signs of growth before repotting.

What sort of pot should I get next?

I just took off 163 berries, not counting the 10-15 I trimmed off last night. Too bad they don’t have any value… quite the harvest this year.

Any pot suggestions? I had always been angling for more of a cascade, but the drop branch hasn’t materilized much. Maybe I could go for a shallower, wider, more feminine oval?

Do you not like the look of the berries? To me they're just a natural part of the tree.
I do like the berries, but I hear that they slow down development. For the winter this tree goes into my pseudo hydroponic LED enclosure, and the roots stretch out feet into the reservoir. It always takes a hit in strength when transitioned back outside under the natural sun, because I chop off these roots.
Also because I want to have full strength going into my planned repot this summer, I particularly wanted to remove this year. Knowing this tree, I have a feeling the berries will be back in great numbers by this time next year.

I’ve never done a show, but it could be cool to try keeping the berries and defoliating, some year in the future, to see if I can get a refined image, but with lots of berries. My friends were saying they looked like mini limes. They do work well to scale, even better so than the leaf size.

There is a cafe near the train station here which has a large benji and it gets covered in masses of them. So, I think it will be a hard battle to win, because you don't have external flowers with ficus, those berries pop up almost overnight.

I know it's not for everyone but I like Pyracantha and Cotoneaster... i like berries.

Look forward to your repot post when it happens :D

Back
Top Bottom