Beginner progression post tips - a single consolidated thread vs individual tree threads (and more?)

DonielDoom

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey all!

I'm in the boat of wanting to become a bit more connected to the bonsai community. That boat of thinking this may be a longer lasting hobby than the cautious optimism had initially provided. I've mainly been independent in my learnings and study, but think that phase is nearing an end...

I have a plethora of experiments and projects, that I would like to share and chat about. I simply don't want to spam the forum with ~10-20 new progression threads that really just don't have interesting content, besides some direct looks at beginner experience. The trees/projects vary in type, too. Deciduous, conifer, tropical, etc.

Which is more desirable - a single consolidated thread, containing multiple beginner tree projects and progressions, OR individual threads for each tree project?

If you have any other tips/tricks/insights in terms of 'social etiquette desirables', or things you'd love to see more of, please don't hesitate!

I agree with Perplex. If you have a bunch of trees that are in the very early stages of development it's probably best to lump them all into one general post. As your trees develop and you can show their progression and improvement over time, then it would probably make sense to start threads for individual trees.

Also, you mention getting connected to the bonsai community, have you looked into joining a bonsai club?

Appreciate the insights!
Also, you mention getting connected to the bonsai community, have you looked into joining a bonsai club?
I have! Honestly, I should've joined up or attended a meeting 2 years ago (insert obligatory 'second best time to plant a tree is now' comment). I'm fortunate enough to have the Bonsai Society of Portland in my general area, and am hoping to engage.

I had an opportunity to take a class led by Steve Iwaki recently that made me realize what I'm missing out on! On an aside, that was a great experience that I was able to share with my old man (who I've pushed into growing more than edible garden crops. He found and invited me to the class!). We worked on Colorado Blue Spruce
1698252667297.png

I am in agreement with everyone. I keep things in consolidated threads based on either topic or on species then split a tree out to its own thread when it makes sense.

Great question - several folks have a running "what's happening in my backyard?" thread that logs day to day work. I'd recommend starting there.

I usually make progression threads after work is complete, and some results are there that may be helpful to others. Lots of great examples here on the forum of long term progressions. Once you have something with big progress, we all love to see those threads put together.

Great question - several folks have a running "what's happening in my backyard?" thread that logs day to day work. I'd recommend starting there.

I usually make progression threads after work is complete, and some results are there that may be helpful to others. Lots of great examples here on the forum of long term progressions. Once you have something with big progress, we all love to see those threads put together.

By the way, double or triple bookmark the progression thread from @MHBonsai . That's usually my first stop here on Bnut whenever I get a new type of tree and want to get an idea of how to proceed with it.

Super helpful! That post is a gold mine!

As I read from the perspective of the write up being later or after the majority of events, things become intuitive and things are clearer.

By the way, double or triple bookmark the progression thread from @MHBonsai . That's usually my first stop here on Bnut whenever I get a new type of tree and want to get an idea of how to proceed with it.

I love this and see so much to dig into in there!

I personally like threads for each individual tree so it's easier to follow the progression. If there's little interest, the threads won't stay near the top.

That said, if they're really raw projects, e.g. "I'm playing with 25 JBP seedlings" those can probably be grouped together until they're further along.

I also prefer individual tree threads, but certainly understand that a very early tree might be interesting to no one but myself. I do find it easier to ask questions and get feedback on individual tree threads.

Many old progression threads on here have no posters but the original poster for a few years, and then they become very popular as the tree comes into it's own.

Many old progression threads on here have no posters but the original poster for a few years, and then they become very popular as the tree comes into it's own.
The more I peruse and do my homework on progression threads, the more I see this pattern.

Hey all!

I'm in the boat of wanting to become a bit more connected to the bonsai community. That boat of thinking this may be a longer lasting hobby than the cautious optimism had initially provided. I've mainly been independent in my learnings and study, but think that phase is nearing an end...

I have a plethora of experiments and projects, that I would like to share and chat about. I simply don't want to spam the forum with ~10-20 new progression threads that really just don't have interesting content, besides some direct looks at beginner experience. The trees/projects vary in type, too. Deciduous, conifer, tropical, etc.

Which is more desirable - a single consolidated thread, containing multiple beginner tree projects and progressions, OR individual threads for each tree project?

If you have any other tips/tricks/insights in terms of 'social etiquette desirables', or things you'd love to see more of, please don't hesitate!
Well... you can create a consolidated thread or individual threads. Or... something that many people don't do - you can set up your own media galleries where people can comment and you can edit your own tree photo galleries.

Play around with the site and get a feeling for what works best for you!

Likely if one wants to batch thread, which can be very confusing to those entering a couple years down the line, it might be best to batch a particular species. This way the tasks will be generally aligned.

Once a tree gains significance, or undergoes special work, that’s time to create a thread,

Cheers
DSD A SENDS

Likely if one wants to batch thread, which can be very confusing to those entering a couple years down the line, it might be best to batch a particular species. This way the tasks will be generally aligned.

Once a tree gains significance, or undergoes special work, that’s time to create a thread,

Cheers
DSD A SENDS
after updating threads for a bit in this way, IMO it is the 'gold standard' of formatting until trees 'break out' of the pack in terms of design stages and deserve an independent thread.

For individual tree threads that I started before reaching this realization, I'm going to bundle them into species threads then link them back to their original individual thread once they are deserving of an individual thread, etc.

Back
Top Bottom