5yr Native Tree Challenge - Soup Dragon's rhamnus alaternus (Mediterranean buckthorn) - no. 2

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I went to the nursery to buy pumice, and bumped into an ugly tree while I was there. Ugly and interesting. Should be fun.

20210131_08_bonsai_buckthorn_02.jpeg20210131_09_bonsai_buckthorn_02.jpeg20210131_10_bonsai_buckthorn_02.jpeg20210131_11_bonsai_buckthorn_02.jpeg

The Berries/foliage/leaves appear closely related to ONE of the two verrry “dominant” buckthorn species here, Rhamnus Cathartica.

🤓

I've never heard of this Buckthorn (lots of unrelated Buckthorns) but looking at those curving branches tells me they are softer at early stages, AKA not brittle, and therefore wire-able. That's always good. The most important other characteristic is back-budding.

I've never heard of this Buckthorn (lots of unrelated Buckthorns) but looking at those curving branches tells me they are softer at early stages, AKA not brittle, and therefore wire-able. That's always good. The most important other characteristic is back-budding.
You're right - the branches are flexible, not brittle at all. My fingers are crossed for back-budding. This is very much an experiment.

Duh,
I should have read the thread title. I simply neglected to "look up".

I'm not familiar with that particular species of Rhamnus. We have a very thuggish, ill-behaved, highly invasive species of Rhamnus here, that I can not bear to look at. I have poured many gallons of herbicide on buckthorn in helping with prairied restoration. Got nothing for you on its use as bonsai, though it looks like your species. R. alaternus could be good.

Duh,
I should have read the thread title. I simply neglected to "look up".

I'm not familiar with that particular species of Rhamnus. We have a very thuggish, ill-behaved, highly invasive species of Rhamnus here, that I can not bear to look at. I have poured many gallons of herbicide on buckthorn in helping with prairied restoration. Got nothing for you on its use as bonsai, though it looks like your species. R. alaternus could be good.
This one could be just as thuggish - I have no idea. It will be interesting to find out.

This challenge has already met one of its stated goals of having us take an interest in native species. I would have paid attention to this one otherwise.

In Scotland, where Rhamnus cathartica is native, it is a very well behaved member of its plant community. It turns out that when it was introduced to USA, it found a different array of fungi to pair with as mycorrhiza. The combination of the Scottish Rhamnus paired with a mid-western USA mycorrhiza species turned the damn thing into a "super weed". Here, R. cathartica is a wild, rampant, thuggish weed because it is pairing up with a North American species of mycorrhiza that does not occur in Europe or UK. It makes it a monster. A plant version of "PCP or Crack". In its native range, it is just fine.

Weird but true.

Back
Top Bottom