What’s your latest Bonsai related purchase?

I need recommendations for a break barrel air rifle for mice/rat/squirrel. I would consider PCP is you can convince me.
I have a fair bit of experience in that field....... 30 THOUSAND rounds through a Diana 34 break barrel .177 air rifle. Break barrels are, how would I put it, temperamental. They run quite a bit cheaper than PCP's , but demand quite a bit more finesse and experimentation. I liken break barrels to the British sports cars of the 50's and 60's. They are fun as heck, but you end up being a mechanic whether you like to or not. That being said, a Diana 34 is the solid, capable V8 Chevy pickup of the air gun world. It'll do anything you want but may not be the fanciest thing out there. I've shot coons, skunks and 100;s of pest birds out to 50 yards. The action of the gun demands a loose, consistent hold to get accuracy. I've shot many ragged one hole groups at 20 yards. JSB pellets have proved to be the gold standard for pellets.

PCP's are scarily accurate and easy to shoot. Sights on target---- pull trigger. Done. Getting a PCP up to 2000-3000 psi is an expensive proposition. Hand pumps are a pain and electric compressors are not cheap. All in all, PCP's are about 2-3 times more expensive to purchase and run. Your choice.

A few years ago, I splurged and bought a $1000 Daystate Hunter. The most exquisite stock you could imagine. Accuracy was better than most any 22 LR gun on the market. 10 OUNCE trigger! It was actually boringly accurate. I lost the mechanical thrill of the break barrel shot. It just went pfft, and the pellet appeared on target. I eventually sold it because it was a boring gun. To each his own.

Last edited:
I have a fair bit of experience in that field....... 30 THOUSAND rounds through a Diana 34 break barrel .177 air rifle. Break barrels are, how would I put it, temperamental. They run quite a bit cheaper than PCP's , but demand quite a bit more finesse and experimentation. I liken break barrels to the British sports cars of the 50's and 60's. They are fun as heck, but you end up being a mechanic whether you like to or not. That being said, a Diana 34 is the solid, capable V8 Chevy pickup of the air gun world. It'll do anything you want but may not be the fanciest thing out there. I've shot coons, skunks and 100;s of pest birds out to 50 yards. The action of the gun demands a loose, consistent hold to get accuracy. I've shot many ragged one hole groups at 20 yards. JSB pellets have proved to be the gold standard for pellets.

PCP's are scarily accurate and easy to shoot. Sights on target---- pull trigger. Done. Getting a PCP up to 2000-3000 psi is an expensive proposition. Hand pumps are a pain and electric compressors are not cheap. All in all, PCP's are about 2-3 times more expensive to purchase and run. Your choice.

A few years ago, I splurged and bought a $1000 Daystate Hunter. The most exquisite stock you could imagine. Accuracy was better than most any 22 LR gun on the market. 10 OUNCE trigger! It was actually boringly accurate. I lost the mechanical thrill of the break barrel shot. It just went pfft, and the pellet appeared on target. I eventually sold it because it was a boring gun. To each his own.
Daystate Hunter PCP

1715619241597.png

Mother tree. Cuttings root easily.

Got 2 Chinese cascade pots. Stamps illegible.
My man! Thanks. Like most things I did not know that. :) I brought it to the bring your own tree class & asked the instructor some questions & did some reading up on it, so my knowledge can fill a thimble.

My man! Thanks. Like most things I did not know that. :) I brought it to the bring your own tree class & asked the instructor some questions & did some reading up on it, so my knowledge can fill a thimble.
I hope you have better luck with yours. I'm liking the thuja Primo better if started young. But they don't have that dark green
and the light blue underside to them. The sekka so far for me has been less cold hardy. Each Spring I'm covering the soil with plastic
and crumbling the dead dried up foliage out. However, they were like that in Georgia where I got it too with the lot Steve had at PCB,
so maybe it's just typical to have a lot of Winter die off. Really had to baby mine 1st Winter after a Fall repot at PCB.

I hope you have better luck with yours. I'm liking the thuja Primo better if started young. But they don't have that dark green
and the light blue underside to them. The sekka so far for me has been less cold hardy. Each Spring I'm covering the soil with plastic
and crumbling the dead dried up foliage out. However, they were like that in Georgia where I got it too with the lot Steve had at PCB,
so maybe it's just typical to have a lot of Winter die off. Really had to baby mine 1st Winter after a Fall repot at PCB.
Thanks. This one had the same dead foliage, and I did what you described.

I picked up two trees from the grocery store up the street. They had everything marked down to $8. I got the red oak to plant out in the yard and the Chinese elm to layer and make two trees. It’s got an interesting top that will make a neat little bonsai and the base has a nice graceful curve to it that will also make a neat larger tree.
IMG_2432.jpegIMG_2433.jpeg
IMG_2454.jpeg

I bought last year model of Gamo .22 with iron sight. They advertise 1300 ft/sec but known velocity for common .22 pellet is around 990 ft/sec. Plenty for varmints. It is time to find meat for my fricassee.
LadyRider's fiscal approval was for varmint removal because she was tired of hearing me lamenting about the buds and seedlings being eaten by rabbits. :)
PS: I tried to trap and relocate but only got a few. The neighbors are enthralled with them and feeding them, so the rabbits come in from the fields around my subdivision. Too many to trap so they may be heading to my dining table or to feed the gators if they are full of worms. I hope they aren't yet. They are known to have lots of worm in summer months.

Last edited:
I bought last year model of Gamo .22 with iron sight. They advertise 1300 ft/sec but known velocity for common .22 pellet is around 990 ft/sec. Plenty for varmints. It is time to find meat for my fricassee.
LadyRider's fiscal approval was for varmint removal because she was tired of hearing me lamenting about the buds and seedlings being eaten by rabbits. :)
PS: I tried to trap and relocate but only got a few. The neighbors are enthralled with them and feeding them, so the rabbits come in from the fields around my subdivision. Too many to trap so they may be heading to my dining table or to feed the gators if they are full of worms. I hope they aren't yet. They are known to have lots of worm in summer months.
I've shot dozens of brands and models of break barrel rifles and none of them meet the manufacturers speed claims over the unwavering eye of the chronograph. Most of those claims are almost doable with super light, typically inaccurate pellets. Heavier 22 caliber pellets at about 800 feet a second are your best bet. The sound barrier is approx 1100 ft per second. Anything higher truly sounds like the crack of a 22 rifle. Your neighbors won't like that a bit.

I've shot dozens of brands and models of break barrel rifles and none of them meet the manufacturers speed claims over the unwavering eye of the chronograph. Most of those claims are almost doable with super light, typically inaccurate pellets. Heavier 22 caliber pellets at about 800 feet a second are your best bet. The sound barrier is approx 1100 ft per second. Anything higher truly sounds like the crack of a 22 rifle. Your neighbors won't like that a bit.
I looked at the Diana and right now they are way over my budget. I got mine for around $200 for a hunting capable air rifle. I actually don't go plinking at all. I will either do serious practice sessions where I am looking to improve either my aim or my time or both. If I head to the field with my rifle(s), something is going to get something to eat. :)

The most important two things with break barrels due to the fairly violent shot cycle: Absolutely consistent, loose hold on the gun and check all screws for tightness often. You hold the gun lightly and just let it kick. Just rest the forearm on your open hand at about the balance point EVERY TIME.

I saw online videos showing my purchased gun shooting hunting .22 pellets with consistent chrono velocity around 870-890. That's what I intend to use. My only slight concern is with the heavier than usual cocking effort for the 33mm gas piston that requires 41 lbs cocking pull.

...🤔 weeeeeelllll it is for bonsai display. Cosmic design. Bought these off of Laurent. Won't lie...I've looked at them on eBay. A bit pricey for figurines as a going price. Yet anything collectable and vintage/older fall into that bracket.

When I had the chance to own some of Laurent's though...game changer. He forced my hand. So feeding the elm... so it has long extensions to work with. But planning how I can I corporate these into a photo shoot.

They are 6 inches tall. So... they will make my Cosmic tree appear larger than it is. Isn't that half the story. To trick the one into seeing an older...larger tree. Yet its not.
1000030801.jpg1000030809.jpg

Standard thread snips for sewing.
How much was the "bonsai brand" tax?
Those are $32.50... they have the "carbon steel" ones for 9.50, same ones I buy in Amazon 5 for $6. I take them apart and sharpen them when they feel slightly dull. I do like the design of the AB stainless shears, and it would be a nice "want", but not willing to spend that money when I can get similar ones for less than $20.
Amazon
1715958969583.png

1715959012005.png

EDIT - If you look at the picture of the stainless ones, they are filed only on the inside, this is a mistake... they should be ground flat with maybe a slight concavity, and sharpened on the outside. When those become dull, you need to sharpen the outside, just like a grafting knife. If you sharpen the inside the cutting edge will start to separate. Just like they say to only sharpen the outside edge on bonsai scissors

Standard thread snips for sewing.
How much was the "bonsai brand" tax?
Stainless steel... they had cheaper ones. For $9.50... I prefer , knowing how horrible I am with tools. To buy the one that is better quality. Mine was $32.50... but design wise. Seemed more structurely sound. 1000030892.jpg1000030890.jpg

Back
Top Bottom