Zombie juniper with aids

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
I went overboard wiring this junioet last year and it has been deteriorating ever since. I was certain that it would die vut this stubborn bugger will not let teh aids win.

Im curious to see if it makes a full recovery and one day turns into a presentable bonsai. It would make for some epic vefore and after pictures.

I took the dominatrix outfit off of it today

20180222_170550.jpg20180222_172253.jpg

Attachments

• 20180222_170550.jpg
    20180222_170550.jpg
    634.2 KB · Views: 1

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Get all of the weeds out of it, prune out the small dead wood and put it in a container without the screened sides. Horror of horrors!!!! Vance Wood not supporting the screen sided planters? Yes in this case. I have found that Shimpakus do not do as well in this kind of environment as other trees, especially Pines. Do you live close to an Apple or Crab Apple tree? This could be a problem.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I second @Vance Wood twice. Looks like you might have had some sort of fungal infection. And junipers do better in solid sided pots than in colanders.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Get all of the weeds out of it, prune out the small dead wood and put it in a container without the screened sides.

I agree with the first two recommendations. My comment about the last recommendation about changing containers - I do not recommend changing the soil. In other words, if you can lift the tree out, with soil, and move it into another container more or less intact, do so. But right now this tree is so weak that I believe another repot with soil change might kill it.

I do not have a problem with junipers in pond baskets - cuttings or otherwise. However they are sensitive to repotting combined with root trimming.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What about wrapping the sides of the colander? Then no repot is needed until next repotting season.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Get all of the weeds out of it, prune out the small dead wood and put it in a container without the screened sides. Horror of horrors!!!! Vance Wood not supporting the screen sided planters? Yes in this case. I have found that Shimpakus do not do as well in this kind of environment as other trees, especially Pines. Do you live close to an Apple or Crab Apple tree? This could be a problem.

Cheers for the advice. I do not live near any that i am aware of. Im definitely going to clean it up. Interesting about shimpaku and this type of planter

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
I agree with the first two recommendations. My comment about the last recommendation about changing containers - I do not recommend changing the soil. In other words, if you can lift the tree out, with soil, and move it into another container more or less intact, do so. But right now this tree is so weak that I believe another repot with soil change might kill it.

I do not have a problem with junipers in pond baskets - cuttings or otherwise. However they are sensitive to repotting combined with root trimming.

I wont be repotting it anytime soon but may do as ironbeaver suggested and wrap tge sides

Top Bottom