Yard sale Pomegranate 10$

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Picked up this thing from some lady who grew fruit trees that had a yard sale for 10$ this winter. It has an interesting trunk and base.

I am pretty sure it’s a pomegranate, but I’m not sure.

It appears to be root bound, and in poor quality soil but I feel its late for a repot (ill do that and prune next year)

Any idea on variety? I have never owned one before. Advice? Comments on design?74C0A718-36CC-4AEE-8F74-4964FDA5EF30.jpeg
F6FA881B-6A03-4018-84C3-53F8280DA834.jpeg
7E8D765A-293C-476D-B932-FB7910E08496.jpeg

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Definitely a pomegranate. It's one of the full-size types if she was a fruit grower it's likely 'Wonderful' we would need to see the flower and fruit to be surer. I guess varieties like Utah Sweet have thinner skin and much lighter pulp.

Here is what you need to do as it is for sure chlorotic.

Water it deeply with a 1:6 - 1:8, 3% Peroxide / Water solution. This will lift and oxygenate your compacted soil and fight off any unwanted stuff like fungus or other beasties that might be nibbling on your roots.

Next get yourself some elemental sulfur and sprinkle about a teaspoon every 2-3 months on the soil. You will also need something with trace minerals. Pomes like a pH around 5.5 so my guess it is much higher than that currently.

Anyways do this, and you will be on your way with it.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Definitely a pomegranate. It's one of the full-size types if she was a fruit grower it's likely 'Wonderful' we would need to see the flower and fruit to be surer. I guess varieties like Utah Sweet have thinner skin and much lighter pulp.

Here is what you need to do as it is for sure chlorotic.

Water it deeply with a 1:6 - 1:8, 3% Peroxide / Water solution. This will lift and oxygenate your compacted soil and fight off any unwanted stuff like fungus or other beasties that might be nibbling on your roots.

Next get yourself some elemental sulfur and sprinkle about a teaspoon every 2-3 months on the soil. You will also need something with trace minerals. Pomes like a pH around 5.5 so my guess it is much higher than that currently.

Anyways do this, and you will be on your way with it.
Great advice! Thank you. I have some sulfur and 3% on the way.

Should I do the peroxide flush just once? And as far as trace minerals, I have biogold pellets, fish emulsion, miracle grow and some other grainy bonsai fertilizer. Will any of those work? I have been giving it fish emulsion on a weekly schedule.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Great advice! Thank you. I have some sulfur and 3% on the way.

Should I do the peroxide flush just once? And as far as trace minerals, I have biogold pellets, fish emulsion, miracle grow and some other grainy bonsai fertilizer. Will any of those work? I have been giving it fish emulsion on a weekly schedule.

You can do like a 1:20 dilution every week or so at least until you can get it repotted. This will provide your roots with all the oxygen they need and buy you some time.

They are not super picky about the feed they get but just balance the numbers for what you want. The main things to remember are that they like a little deeper pot than most plants but make sure it is well draining as they don't really like wet feet. They can take full sun once established. They like acidic soils.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@milehigh_7
I have been following your advice and the pom has been growing vigorously. Thank you.
15B21887-2759-49EC-AEAE-A16866EC1C8B.jpeg
Any advice on pruning? I was going to cut it back in fall to start developing the structure.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
So this bad boy has started to pop buds after repotting. Any advice on how to manage growth? Should I pinch after first flush has hardened? I am not familiar with fruiting trees. It was very vigorous at the end of last year. The powder on the soil is elemental sulfur.

I know it needs some structural work, but I would like to shift to refinement now that it is in good soil.

My plans are to shape in an informal broom. I will post a pic with a better background in a bit.

All comments, critiques, recommendations welcome.
06C01518-DF3B-485D-B5AD-117263E777F5.jpeg
AC49A8A3-6194-4E3D-8309-E4C49D7399D6.jpeg

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MrWunderful, post: 631025, member: 23881"]So this bad boy has started to pop buds after repotting. Any advice on how to manage growth? Should I pinch after first flush has hardened?
If you want to have these branches grow bigger, don't prune them right away. I would bend it down via either " interlocking technique" or "soft break technique" (please see my other post for these) when the new shoot grow long about 40 cm. Or just wire them down (pomegranate branch tends to grow upward when it is young). Then I wound prune them back in the Fall.

I know it needs some structural work, but I would like to shift to refinement now that it is in good soil.
I wonder why you want to do that.

My plans are to shape in an informal broom.
I think it is good plan

For now, if this tree was mine, I would remove all the dead branches in the red circles (to help the good ventilation and lighting to the inner and lower areas of the trunks), and prune back in the green circles (I want to have Y shape branch)
AC49A8A3-6194-4E3D-8309-E4C49D7399D6.jpeg
Good luck for your project.
Thụ Thoại

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
MrWunderful, post: 631025, member: 23881"]So this bad boy has started to pop buds after repotting. Any advice on how to manage growth? Should I pinch after first flush has hardened?
If you want to have these branches grow bigger, don't prune them right away. I would bend it down via either " interlocking technique" or "soft break technique" (please see my other post for these) when the new shoot grow long about 40 cm. Or just wire them down (pomegranate branch tends to grow upward when it is young). Then I wound prune them back in the Fall.

I think it is good plan

For now, if this tree was mine, I would remove all the dead branches in the red circles (to help the good ventilation and lighting to the inner and lower areas of the trunks), and prune back in the green circles (I want to have Y shape branch)
View attachment 231329
Thụ Thoại

This fellow is lord of the pomegranate. I would heed his word.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

I think it is good plan

View attachment 231329
Thụ Thoại

Thank you so much Thu Thoai, your advice is appreciated. I will follow. I didnt prune hard last fall because I wanted to make sure health was strong. Have a great day!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This fellow is lord of the pomegranate. I would heed his word.
OMG! I am nothing here! The knowledge is unlimited and I am still trying to learn it everyday. I just want to share whatever I know. Thank you.
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you so much Thu Thoai, your advice is appreciated. I will follow. I didnt prune hard last fall because I wanted to make sure health was strong. Have a great day!
You are welcome. Thank you.
Don't worry about pomegranate. It is one of the specimens which is strong and hard to kill! :) Have a nice Sunday
Thụ Thoại

Top Bottom