WTB Seiju, Hokkaido, and/or Catlin Elm

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Lost a couple elm in the winter this past year and only now looking to replace them. I found the Seiju at a couple of places but haven’t been able to find more than a 4” pot for the Catlin and can’t find the Hokkaido anywhere.

If you have one or multiples of these, please let me know!

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks!

Yeah, I ordered from him last time and was very happy with what I received. Those are the trees that I referred to which died last winter.

He doesn’t have any Hokkaido listed on the website. And currently there are no Catlin listed larger than in a 4” pot.

I sent him an email a few days ago asking if he had either the Hokkaido or a gallon size Catlin but haven’t heard back yet. So I thought I’d try here in the meantime.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Oh! I didn't see that he is out of hokkaidos.

I see them frequently sold at nurseries that carry Iseli products (their "fanciful gardens" line). Check to see what stores in your area carry Iseli products and give them a call. I got a couple of one gallon hokkaidos from a landscape nursery up in the mountains that way.

Otherwise I see that Oriental Garden Supply has them. I have used them in the past for deciduous hollies and the plants came in very well packaged.

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well it is very possible that I’m wrong and I just missed them. The older I get the more I find it is usually best to assume that I’m the one who has made a mistake.

Thank you so much for that link. I’ll go check them out now. I’ll hope Brent has something as I’d rather order from him, but if he doesn’t have a Hokkaido I’ll grab one from there.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Honestly I would steer you away from hokkaido. They are as fussy as the species is easy. The branches are super brittle and they will just give up if they are shaded. Seiju is MUCH better and just a little larger leaves.

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Honestly I would steer you away from hokkaido. They are as fussy as the species is easy. The branches are super brittle and they will just give up if they are shaded. Seiju is MUCH better and just a little larger leaves.
Thanks for the advice! I actually just ordered a seiju, Catlin, and Catlin contorted from Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks!

Top Bottom