Wood planter or phoenix graft

BonsaiFurLife

Yamadori
Reaction score
My knowledge is limited and imagination lacks. Do you think i should use this piece of wood as a planter or Phoenix graft. My initial thoughts for it were Phoenix but now im thinking planter. what species would look best for both ideas. I had in mind cedrus for phoenix. Or shimpaku or kingsville for planter. I dont see many deciduous on wood but i like different too. Thx.

BonsaiFurLife

Yamadori
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_1472.JPG
    IMG_1472.JPG
    746.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1473.JPG
    IMG_1473.JPG
    671.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1474.JPG
    IMG_1474.JPG
    532.7 KB · Views: 50

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like you're feeding a pelican/dinosaur in the last pic.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm trying to find a piece that could be utilized as a multi tree display stand or "center piece"...with little modification if any...

Maybe this one?

A long cascade from the pelicans mouth....

Sorce

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
Do you have to treat the wood to keep it from rotting? I am wondering about wood pots as I go to thrift stores for all my bonsai dishes and see wood salad sets and nut bowls a lot.

BonsaiFurLife

Yamadori
Reaction score
Yea. I soaked this one in a bucket of lime sulfur mix. Idk if it did any good. Im sure it will need more serious treatment depending its purpose. If i use it as a planter/display the trees probably wont be in there too long.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
As a planter, the wood will rot away in time, probably less than 10 years, maybe less than 5.

For phoenix graft and or for using it as a planter, I would paint the wood with a couple coats of boiled linseed oil. Available in most box store paint departments. Linseed oil replenishes the natural oils of the wood, it is non-toxic, and it won't leave a glassy finish. It will slowly wash away with time, you will have to re-apply every 3 to 5 years. Linseed oil won't change the color, as it has no pigment, though the wood won't looks as dry.

Top Bottom