Wondering how much I can reduce the root mass on my Yew

Likebull1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Last year I purchased this Yew and it has been in a gallon nursery pot since. The only reason I didn't repot last year was because when I removed the root mass from the pot I noticed the roots were not bound or even crowded.

In a few weeks I'm looking to reduce the roots to get it ready or in a bonsai pot.

I like the size it is currently at and I have no plans at the moment to grow it any larger.

For those who are familiar with yews, how far can I reduce the root mass?
Is it reasonable to put it into a pot?
Cane the be bare rooted?
Should I throw it into a larger training pot?

1000006546.jpg

Good question.

This yew could certainly be put in a smaller pot this time ….. Would not do this now myself. Early next spring sure.

A couple reasons.

1. It’s really not good time of the year to mess with the roots. This is the time the roots should be growing the strongest. Repotting will slow root growth as the roots will be using energy to establish themselves in the new pot. Thus lessening the resources for wintering over.

2. Repotting is usually done for trees that are healthy and robust. Looks healthy, yet the foliage mass on this tree has been reduced so much there is little margin for error.

3. Cramming the tree into another nursery container will work against the goal of placing the tree in a nursery container.

That said, next move likely would be to grow the foliage strong. Then when the weather allows next spring move the yew into a wooden box for a year. Reduce the soil all around the root ball, fairly shallow on bottom and half off all around. Leave 1/2 of roots exposed with the root tips exposed. Then add bonsai media under around and also work some into the soil gently on the soil surface.

Can’t tell size from the image is my guess inside dimensions

12” square or 12x6” rectangle depends on future pot x 2.5” deep. We use 5/4 cedar decking for our boxes. These look like:
IMG_0286.jpeg

This will get the tree into bonsai media and allow you to flatten and reduce the roots. Also give the tree a good year to recoup and gather resources for the next move.

If the tree recovers well and is robust and healthy come the following spring one could move to a bonsai container then, or wait a year and style in the pot.

As for the final size of the pot yews tend to be pretty tough, so your tree your call. Here is an example of one. (The tree shown is destined for a little bit larger pot)

IMG_0287.jpeg

Cheers
DSD sends

In my experience, yew tend to have lots of feeder roots near the trunk, so fairly significant root reduction is possible. With that being said, I've always done my root work just as the buds are swelling in April, so I'd suggest waiting until next year.

In my experience, yew tend to have lots of feeder roots near the trunk, so fairly significant root reduction is possible. With that being said, I've always done my root work just as the buds are swelling in April, so I'd suggest waiting until next year.
I think I'll take @Deep Sea Diver advice and take it slow while I reduce the root mass and your advice and wait. I'm really excited to change the angle and get it in the pot but I should get the trees strength up for sure.

Good question.

This yew could certainly be put in a smaller pot this time ….. Would not do this now myself. Early next spring sure.

A couple reasons.

1. It’s really not good time of the year to mess with the roots. This is the time the roots should be growing the strongest. Repotting will slow root growth as the roots will be using energy to establish themselves in the new pot. Thus lessening the resources for wintering over.

2. Repotting is usually done for trees that are healthy and robust. Looks healthy, yet the foliage mass on this tree has been reduced so much there is little margin for error.

3. Cramming the tree into another nursery container will work against the goal of placing the tree in a nursery container.

That said, next move likely would be to grow the foliage strong. Then when the weather allows next spring move the yew into a wooden box for a year. Reduce the soil all around the root ball, fairly shallow on bottom and half off all around. Leave 1/2 of roots exposed with the root tips exposed. Then add bonsai media under around and also work some into the soil gently on the soil surface.

Can’t tell size from the image is my guess inside dimensions

12” square or 12x6” rectangle depends on future pot x 2.5” deep. We use 5/4 cedar decking for our boxes. These look like:
View attachment 557766

This will get the tree into bonsai media and allow you to flatten and reduce the roots. Also give the tree a good year to recoup and gather resources for the next move.

If the tree recovers well and is robust and healthy come the following spring one could move to a bonsai container then, or wait a year and style in the pot.

As for the final size of the pot yews tend to be pretty tough, so your tree your call. Here is an example of one. (The tree shown is destined for a little bit larger pot)

View attachment 557767

Cheers
DSD sends
No you're right. Sometimes you need an outsider to tell you to slow down. I think we all ask these questions knowing the answer but we need like minded people to tell us to wait another year or so lol

Back
Top Bottom