Wisteria tree

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wanted to make a 5 foot tall wisteria tree. Started this 6/18/16. Just over 1 year ago. Every time it puts out a runner I wire it, arcing it out from the top. When I get a few more I will clip the new runners and let things thicken up. Goal is a self supporting 5 foot tall twisting trunk wisteria.
Picture taken 6/18/ 16.
20160706_125308.jpg
This was taken 6/22/17.
20170622_121043.jpg

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Be careful. If any fragment of those roots grow into the ground you will have wisteria in your yard forever! They are impossible to get rid of

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Be careful. If any fragment of those roots grow into the ground you will have wisteria in your yard forever! They are impossible to get rid of
That's what I hear. I was at first going to plant it in that area and run a wire across the fence where the bonsai's are and let it grow. Someone here posted a picture of how crazy they grow and I quickly decided against that. I have 2 of them I've been working on for a year now.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
That's what I hear. I was at first going to plant it in that area and run a wire across the fence where the bonsai's are and let it grow. Someone here posted a picture of how crazy they grow and I quickly decided against that. I have 2 of them I've been working on for a year now.
This one is probably close to at least 50. This is my friends back yard. All year he has suckers shoot up everywhere even 50 to 60 feet away.20170428_155019.jpg

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one is probably close to at least 50. This is my friends back yard. All year he has suckers shoot up everywhere even 50 to 60 feet away.View attachment 150730
Wow!!! That is incredible. I've heard they will climb your fence and steal the neighbors cat if you don't watch it. Super cool picture.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its beginning to look more like a tree now. Just starting to leaf out. I'm holding off fertilizing it this year and see if it will flower. Going to let it grow like crazy.
20180331_215838.jpg

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Slowly getting bigger and thicker.
20180619_161357.jpg

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Been letting this grow with no trimming this year. When it attacks the other trees, fence, greenhouse, me I trim those shoots of otherwise just letting it put on size. This winter I will trim and wire for some kind of shape.
20180817_110509 (Small).jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Um, you leave that on the ground like that with no barrier between it and the dirt and allow it to do what it wants, you:
A) might as well plant it in the ground because it will plant itself in the ground through the drain holes of the pot
B) could see it grab hold of that greenhouse next to it and tear it down in a couple of years
C) allow it to get its roots in the ground to thicken the trunk exponentially faster than in a container by itself. If it establishes itself in the ground, expect that trunk to triple in size in only a couple of years.
D)will have to keep killing wisteria roots for years after you dig the main trunk out.

Good luck!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Its beginning to look more like a tree now. Just starting to leaf out. I'm holding off fertilizing it this year and see if it will flower. Going to let it grow like crazy.
View attachment 184426

Aside from listening to Rockm ( he knows his stuff), id only day don’t plan to see flowers..
Main 2 types I know are American wisteria and Chinese.. American take around 10 years to flower, Chinese 12-15.
But down to many things, variables, climate etc..
Don’t hold out for flowers just let them come when they do. It’ll be a long time.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Um, you leave that on the ground like that with no barrier between it and the dirt and allow it to do what it wants, you:
A) might as well plant it in the ground because it will plant itself in the ground through the drain holes of the pot
B) could see it grab hold of that greenhouse next to it and tear it down in a couple of years
C) allow it to get its roots in the ground to thicken the trunk exponentially faster than in a container by itself. If it establishes itself in the ground, expect that trunk to triple in size in only a couple of years.
D)will have to keep killing wisteria roots for years after you dig the main trunk out.

Good luck!
Oh, and I should have said that flowering depends a lot on pruning, not necessarily fertilization. A wisteria left to grow is more apt to put out new shoots and leaves and forget about flowering.
https://www.finegardening.com/article/pruning-and-training-wisteria

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Just a hunch, but if you would replace the support pole with one that JUST BARELY holds the top up, it might increase the trunk size naturally due to wind movement. I've seen people purposely leave a really long leader so the wind moves the trunk around for the same reason. No hard proof.......just a hunch.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The big wig nurseries use a 2x4 pounded in the ground. They let it grow up the board until it reaches the height they want then chop the top and let it spread out. Then later they replace the 2x4 with a metal post. They use these cool clamps the are adjustable and can slid on the poles. Pretty cool set up. They make some super nice looking trees this way. Takes a very long time to do.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This guys has some nice trees.

Top Bottom