Wintering JBP

Jrmcmich

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So recently got a small starter JBP and just wondering protocol for wintering these? I have read couple conflicting views on this and didn’t see much when searching site. I had thought it might be similar to juniper but guessing not. I know it’s always off but just like to do some research ahead of time in case I need special provisions. Last year I made A small cold frame but sure it can still get cold even with top

You are in the best position to make this decision based on your experience in your location. Here is some information to assist. Japanese Black Pine should be protected from -10 degrees Fahrenheit. Short spells of a day or so will not usually cause a problem. Extended periods of several days at -10 and longer will kill the trees usually! I would err on the side of caution in estimating the protection provided by a cold frame. If you have checked how it performed in the past then you will be in a good position to make a decision.
As a back up a small heater with a thermostat set to turn it on if certain low temperatures are reached is a good idea. It only turns on and uses power if needed in that case.

Here in New England I heel my trees including JBP’s in with mulch somewhat protected behind a raised vegetable garden bed for the winter. Haven’t lost a tree yet (knocks on wood) since I started wintering them like that, even with some serious cold snaps.

You are in the best position to make this decision based on your experience in your location. Here is some information to assist. Japanese Black Pine should be protected from -10 degrees Fahrenheit. Short spells of a day or so will not usually cause a problem. Extended periods of several days at -10 and longer will kill the trees usually! I would err on the side of caution in estimating the protection provided by a cold frame. If you have checked how it performed in the past then you will be in a good position to make a decision.
As a back up a small heater with a thermostat set to turn it on if certain low temperatures are reached is a good idea. It only turns on and uses power if needed in that case.
Thanks for tip. This will only be second winter for me so still new and last winter was fairly mild although we did get couple days low teens

In the past I have overwintered my shohin size JBP by putting it on the north side of a porch and mulching it with pine needles. This year I got a 2 year old mame size JBP and kept it in a window well off my basement garage where it never got below freezing. This winter I plan to keep them in my new cold greenhouse which I hope to keep between freezing and about 40 F. For the last 2 winters we have dipped down to 0 F and 5 F due to these polar vortex outbreaks. Remember the smaller the pot the more sensitive they are likely to be to cold.

If you have a garage that can be a good fallback for cold snaps. I’m fortunate enough to have a climate controlled garage so my trees are set between 35° and 40°F. The downside (and upside) is that they wake up early so I have to do the bonsai shuffle for a pretty good stretch in the spring but I’m able to stretch my growing season by a few weeks.

In the past I have overwintered my shohin size JBP by putting it on the north side of a porch and mulching it with pine needles. This year I got a 2 year old mame size JBP and kept it in a window well off my basement garage where it never got below freezing. This winter I plan to keep them in my new cold greenhouse which I hope to keep between freezing and about 40 F. For the last 2 winters we have dipped down to 0 F and 5 F due to these polar vortex outbreaks. Remember the smaller the pot the more sensitive they are likely to be to cold.
Did you make your Cold greenhouse or buy one?

If you have a garage that can be a good fallback for cold snaps. I’m fortunate enough to have a climate controlled garage so my trees are set between 35° and 40°F. The downside (and upside) is that they wake up early so I have to do the bonsai shuffle for a pretty good stretch in the spring but I’m able to stretch my growing season by a few weeks.
I have garage with one side attached but I put thermostat in there last winter to monitor and it never got much colder than 40 F amd often higher so must have used too much insulation. Ironically the 2 car attached garage fluctuates much more than that other oversized 1 car but open closed too much and not room with cars.

Unlike white pine, JBP doesn’t require the colder winter temps and would probably do just fine in your garage if you’re concerned about them suffering any kind of cold damage.

Unlike white pine, JBP doesn’t require the colder winter temps and would probably do just fine in your garage if you’re concerned about them suffering any kind of cold damage.
Good to know but don’t they need some light in winter being a confier?

Good to know but don’t they need some light in winter being a confier?
There’s plenty of debate around that question. The Arnold Arboretum in Boston, this is part of Harvard, keeps their bonsai collection in a vault all winter in the dark and apparently only checked occasionally for water needs. Colin Lewis, among other professionals, cared for this collection and didn’t seem to think the trees suffered any detrimental effects from this practice.

There’s plenty of debate around that question. The Arnold Arboretum in Boston, this is part of Harvard, keeps their bonsai collection in a vault all winter in the dark and apparently only checked occasionally for water needs. Colin Lewis, among other professionals, cared for this collection and didn’t seem to think the trees suffered any detrimental effects from this practice.
That said I do keep my garaged evergreen trees under grow lights on a timer through the winter 🤷🏻‍♂️

Did you make your Cold greenhouse or buy one?
Kit from Costco

Kit from Costco

Ah remember this thread. Nice. Trying to recall timing of when you got it and wonder have you used it over winter yet?

Back
Top Bottom