Winter Bonsai Silhouette Expo, December 2-3, 2017, North Carolina

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What is that pine displayed with? Is that stained glass? That is super cool!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Which trees ended up winning the prizes?

Here you go Lars. This was taken from Bill's Facebook page. I don't recall individual names but Adair's pine won best conifer and Tom Bjornholm's American hornbeam for best in show!

Best of Show- Tropical
Willowleaf fig

Best of Show- Conifer
Japanese White Pine

Best of Show- Deciduous
American hornbeam

Best of Show- Display
Princess persimmon

American Bonsai Society Award- Native
American hornbeam display

Congrats to all the winners. Really nice show!! Great to see many of you there and a good time was had by all.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Here you go Lars. This was taken from Bill's Facebook page. I don't recall individual names but Adair's pine won best conifer and Tom Bjornholm's American hornbeam for best in show!

Best of Show- Tropical
Willowleaf fig
158904-f05fc7847f4a2a712dc8aefd05758688.jpg

Best of Show- Conifer
Japanese White Pine
158907-036159dafe9fbce95bfdbab089d5fe60.jpg

Best of Show- Deciduous
American hornbeam
158909-6f9518bfc61f7e6edd0c779bab517250.jpg

Best of Show- Display
Princess persimmon
158906-2b4f223263103d33d780ef81ce7b908f.jpg

158905-0c1ce7e7b4a3167b6dd0196ada3e7790.jpg

Congrats to all the winners. Really nice show!! Great to see many of you there and a good time was had by all.

Attachments

• besttropical.jpeg
    besttropical.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 29
  • best natural.jpeg
    best natural.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 29
  • best display.jpeg
    best display.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 31
  • bestconifer.jpeg
    bestconifer.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 28
  • bestdeciduous.jpeg
    bestdeciduous.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 29

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Hu

Best of Show- Tropical
Willowleaf fig

Best of Show- Conifer
Japanese White Pine

Best of Show- Deciduous
American hornbeam

Best of Show- Display
Princess persimmon

Huge Congrats to @Adair M on Best of Show!!!

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I think the forest is interesting because the main tree is in the very center, when usually I see the dominant tree off center. The secondary/tertiary trees lend asymmetry, but it seems to the break the 'rules.'

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, that was Rodney Clemons' display. I would have preferred to have the main tree on a taller stand or accent much lower. But it was definitely a different and eye catching design.

Interesting thought. In nature you would expect the cypress to be very low with palms growing up in the upraised areas around it. I agree though that to my bonsai sensibilities, the cypress should be higher up.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Got home late last night after a very long trip home. Made it back in one piece and no speeding tickets!! But more importantly the babies made it all back great. To the right, I picked up a sweet bunjin red pine in a hand made Tofukuji pot from Juan Adrade.

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Interesting thought. In nature you would expect the cypress to be very low with palms growing up in the upraised areas around it. I agree though that to my bonsai sensibilities, the cypress should be higher up.

Yes because the largest item should take prominence in the total composition. This is not a matter of following "the rules" but more how we perceive and categorize things visually.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, that was Rodney Clemons' display. I would have preferred to have the main tree on a taller stand or accent much lower. But it was definitely a different and eye catching design.
I spoke to Rodney at length about this. He said he was torn with how he should place the cypress in relation to the palm while trying to create a display representing the floor of the Everglades with the fallen cypress being the key element. A smaller, shorter Sago palm would have probably worked better. If anything, he wishes he had been able to raise all the elements about 18" so the viewing audience wouldn't have to bend over to see everything.

Top Bottom