Willow oak help

Reaction score
I recieved two willow oak bonsai’s for Christmas. They were stumps only when they first arrived. They were in water with new roots and shoots and we went away for a few days and no one watered them. 🤦‍♀️ they looked a little wilty but perked up. I potted them in really good soil and I think the one was too cold in the window (or the lack of water maybe) and it looks its shoots. Is there any way to save it? I moved them both back to the kitchen.

Attachments

• IMG_6666.jpeg
    IMG_6666.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 49
Reaction score
There is another plant behind the one that lost its shoots. It has none now 😒😞

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

I'm more than a little curious... why would someone send you two oak stumps? Were they being sold as "bonsai" - or did someone tell you to plant them and you could turn them into bonsai?

Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

I'm more than a little curious... why would someone send you two oak stumps? Were they being sold as "bonsai" - or did someone tell you to plant them and you could turn them into bonsai?
My husband bought them online, they came like a log wrapped in a wet paper towel (that’s what it looked like). It quickly grew roots and then the shoots. I was a little heartbroken the sitter didn’t water them while we were gone.

Attachments

• IMG_5424.jpeg
    IMG_5424.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 42

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
These are willow cuttings and not willow oak cuttings. I afraid they have used all the stored energy and grew some roots. The problem now is they have no more stored energy and the roots are dead. I afraid they are not going to make it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As said, plain old willows. Willows root in just about anything. Willow oak won't. FWIW, inside these (and willow oak) have a very bleak future. There just isn't enough light for them, extremely low humidity and little air circulation. You don't list your location, but if it's in a temperate region with winter, these should go outside in the spring (when frosts and freezes are no longer a danger).

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It quickly grew roots and then the shoots. I was a little heartbroken the sitter didn’t water them while we were gone.
Willow oaks have the Latin name Quercus phellos and (as others have pointed out) are a completely different tree and stand zero chance of rooting from a log.

However willows are an exception to the rule and you can often be successful rooting quite a large branch. This is due to the fact that willows generate a high level of auxin growth hormone - so high that you can actually soak willow branches in a bucket of water, and then use that water as rooting hormone for other plants. However willows are outdoor trees, and it would be nearly impossible to keep a willow tree indoors successfully - at least not without specialized care and supplemental lighting.

Wait until spring - and assuming you live in an area with willow trees, go out and cut off some branches. Stick them in water until they root, and then move them from the water into a pot and enjoy :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Willow oaks have the Latin name Quercus phellos and (as others have pointed out) are a completely different tree and stand zero chance of rooting from a log.

However willows are an exception to the rule and you can often be successful rooting quite a large branch. This is due to the fact that willows generate a high level of auxin growth hormone - so high that you can actually soak willow branches in a bucket of water, and then use that water as rooting hormone for other plants. However willows are outdoor trees, and it would be nearly impossible to keep a willow tree indoors successfully - at least not without specialized care and supplemental lighting.

Wait until spring - and assuming you live in an area with willow trees, go out and cut off some branches. Stick them in water until they root, and then move them from the water into a pot and enjoy :)
Is there any recommendation you may have for where to place the willow cuttings once they're ready to let sit? I have some in dirt and some in water. Will they have trouble in full sun or is that what they need?

Top Bottom