Will Jade trunks fuse?

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have several regular jade cuttings that are 6-8in tall as well as several golem jade cuttings. I was curious if they could be taped together and grown to fuse?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have several regular jade cuttings that are 6-8in tall as well as several golem jade cuttings. I was curious if they could be taped together and grown to fuse?
Don’t know. Try it and see what happens!

Just for the record, I really don’t consider Jade plants to be bonsai.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
... and yet they can be made into nice images of trees, which is all
a bonsai is anyway.

They won’t fuse with the bark/skin intact I don’t believe. I would like to see what happens if you slice off that skin and try it however. I would slice it off to make a flat surface on each tree to join them together.

I had my best one broken when a cat knocked another tree on top of it. Nearly fully severed the trunk 2/3 of the way up where it was still over 1/2” diameter. It was hanging by a thread. I wired it back in place and waited for the top to die. It did not. I want to experiment with grafting trunks together intentionally like this, just to see. Maybe branches could be added in this manner.

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Velodog2 I had a similar issue w/ a branch that snapped and I wired it... its been about 6 months and it has new growth. It did spawn a couple air roots at the break which makes sense i guess. I think making a flat slice on the trunks makes sense before I tape em together. I'll try it.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
That’s interesting to hear. So this is a thing with them. I wonder what kind of effect you could create. You could almost theoretically build a tree Frankenstein style.

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
One project that's been simmering in the back of my brain-meats has been to build a frankentree using rooted cuttings, and get the cuttings to put down aerial roots. The trick will be getting the roots to stay alive; they don't seem to appreciate being exposed to air.

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've had one of my jades in the bathroom and i think the humidity has triggered air roots. Its got a bunch, but they don't get much longer than a couple a few cm.

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've had one of my jades in the bathroom and i think the humidity has triggered air roots. Its got a bunch, but they don't get much longer than a couple a few cm.
Hrm. I wonder if putting substrate up at the root will get them to grow longer, or if they're staying short because the root's still connected to the main root base of the plant.

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just for the record, I really don’t consider Jade plants to be bonsai.

Most Jades I see as bonsai just look like lil succulents in a pot, so I get what you're saying. Here is the tree I've been working on, just repotted and about 1/4 of the foliage pruned. I think its pretty successful as a bonsai though.

IMG_1673.JPG

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

I think your best chance would be to bind them together and strip off any bark be it green or hardened where they contact each other. I would then wrap them tightly with Raffia, leaving them until the bark from each fuse at the bark...

Never tried it that way but I can tell you for certain they won't bind if left as is and tied together. We have two at Crystals office which were small cuttings and were wired together about 5 years ago. After two years they needed repot and the wire barely cut in and when I cut it away they were not connected anywhere. They are quite large now and have had two pieces of Raffia holding them together to prevent tipping out of the pot... still not connected though.

Grimmy

Top Bottom