Will it die?

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
So I have this fussy Leptospermum (NZTeatree) that's tall, but full of branches.
One of the options I have is air layering the trunk midway instead of chopping it and throwing the top away. Two trees is doubling the fun!
Again, there is plenty of foliage down and up from the possible place for the air layer.
Even if the air layer doesn't catch, I want to at least preserve the lower part of the tree and the roots. Question is, is there a possibility of losing the whole tree because of the layer?

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I guess the answer is "if you don't try you will never know."

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As long as there is foliage below the layer girdle, the tree will live.
This foliage (below the girdle) feeds the roots​

But the layer is always at risk until it is viable on its own (new roots).
The girdle removes the auxin signal from above. The tissues immediately below the girdle may get the message that there is no life above and respond to compartmentalize = seal off the xylem which results in no water and mineral supply to the layer.​

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tea tree is supposed to be one of the more difficult trees to do.
There was a chap on IBC who had mastered them from I believe New Zealand.
Good Day
Anthony

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So I have this fussy Leptospermum (NZTeatree) that's tall, but full of branches.
One of the options I have is air layering the trunk midway instead of chopping it and throwing the top away. Two trees is doubling the fun!
Again, there is plenty of foliage down and up from the possible place for the air layer.
Even if the air layer doesn't catch, I want to at least preserve the lower part of the tree and the roots. Question is, is there a possibility of losing the whole tree because of the layer?

Hi Clicio,
I know this doesn’t answer your question but here is a couple of pointers to enjoy NZ tea tree (Manuka here in NZ).
1. I think semi- hardwood cuttings root ok for colored cultivars, and the obvious seed for propagation. As for air-layers- no idea apart from above.
2. @my nellie has a thread going regarding NZ tea tree. We discussed the fact that this species really dislikes its roots being disturbed or even cut much. This would be a useful thread to read, as is the advice regarding looking after the species and root work.
Charles

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
@my nellie has a thread going regarding NZ tea tree. We discussed the fact that this species really dislikes its roots being disturbed or even cut much. This would be a useful thread to read, as is the advice regarding looking after the species and root work.

Thanks Charles, I will surely read the thread.
I have some experience in growing Manukas as bonsai: Killed two atfter repotting (roots, roots...) and two others are alive and in training, besides the tall one I'm talking about. But I have never airlayered any of them.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Translation: very difficult to root; slow root growth.
Meaning a layer may take years or may never develop roots.

@0soyoung , I see what you mean. Yes, it is a possibility.
But I have some successful experiences with repottting NZTeatrees, and there was plenty of roots. The real problem is it HATES having its roots touched; repotting in two consecutive seasons, cleaning only half root mass
each season is a must. Or it will die.
But yes, this (not rooting at all) is a strong possibility, and I have never heard of anyone air layering a Manuka. Maybe because it doesn't work.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/cj/?p=57

This is the only one I have found so far, it's a small cutting though really. I don't know how successful air layers are on trees that don't back bud on old wood.
Maybe if you haven't you can ask over on ausbonsai, there is some info over there and given some peoples responses to how well they respond(or lack therof) to heavy cutting back I would be extremely cautious. At the very least there are a number of growers over there.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'm playing around with this and want to try grafting pink flower tea tree to a red flower one .

Top Bottom