Who knows a potter in the US that can make a really good rectangle?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks everyone, I was starting think there were no options. I was way off. I love the Ron Lang pots and it seems like he does a lot that are larger rectangles. @sorce I knew you were doing pots but I didnt realize you were already venturing into something bigger. Do you think you could make something like this unglazed? Also, I will be at the Michigan show, definietly will have to say hi.

I agree with the american bonsai potters and all the glazes, unglazed and rough around the edges is my preferred.
Some great recommendations here. Ill post up what I come up with.

I've bought a pots from most of the potters mentioned here. Those I haven't bought from, I've seen their work in person.

IMO, Ron Lang is the best American potter technically these days. None of the work I've seen lately can really match what he does.

His pots are solidly made with precise slab construction. He has been working with clay since the 70s, has a masters degree in ceramics and was the of the chairman of the Ceramics Department at Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore for decades. He knows what he's doing.

All this sounds like so much hype, but from the U.S. made pots I've seen, handled and bought, his work is far superior to most of the American potters out there (including the glaze of the minute stuff) IMO. His unglazed pots are excellent, including the stuff with stains and shading and rough finishes. He also has a sharp sense of design that isn't traditional or way out there and complements the tree inside without looking odd.

All of this is why his pots are under a number of Ryan Neil's, National and North Carolina arboretum trees.
http://www.langbonsai.com/TreesPots.htm

He also works in big to huge sizes.
http://www.langbonsai.com/slidesoval2.htm

yeah, people bitch cause his work is pricey. Generally you pay for quality, especially with larger pots above 15 inches or so. Pots that size are not easy to make and can be a pain. I know Ron makes two pots for most smaller custom jobs, in case one of them goes wonky in drying and firing.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've bought a pots from most of the potters mentioned here. Those I haven't bought from, I've seen their work in person.

IMO, Ron Lang is the best American potter technically these days. None of the work I've seen lately can really match what he does.

His pots are solidly made with precise slab construction. He has been working with clay since the 70s, has a masters degree in ceramics and was the of the chairman of the Ceramics Department at Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore for decades. He knows what he's doing.

All this sounds like so much hype, but from the U.S. made pots I've seen, handled and bought, his work is far superior to most of the American potters out there (including the glaze of the minute stuff) IMO. His unglazed pots are excellent, including the stuff with stains and shading and rough finishes. He also has a sharp sense of design that isn't traditional or way out there and complements the tree inside without looking odd.

All of this is why his pots are under a number of Ryan Neil's, National and North Carolina arboretum trees.

He also works in big to huge sizes.
http://www.langbonsai.com/slidesoval2.htm

yeah, people bitch cause his work is pricey. Generally you pay for quality, especially with larger pots above 15 inches or so. Pots that size are not easy to make and can be a pain. I know Ron makes two pots for most smaller custom jobs, in case one of them goes wonky in drying and firing.
Do you know if Sharon Edwards-Russell still potting?

KeithE

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey Judy I don't do the traditional Japanese style pot, save that for the Masters...
This is generally the view for American potters, and understandably so. Americans don't typically make unglazed rectangles because mistakes are not hidden behind the glaze. Your lines look very sharp though.

I have no idea what you just said.
What he said. Don't understand most sorce posts, but I will say your containers have been much better than I would expect from a rookie.

Would be nice for an American to replicate an old Chinese unglazed pot...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks @rockm i Have decided on Ron Lang. After a little price shock i want to spend what I need to on this tree, I plan to keep it for a very long time. Anyway open to thoughts on those that are more experienced pairing pots and trees but pictured is what I am thinking.
642411ED-B385-43E0-8BCA-7EF6B59BFC58.jpegBF5A5FAE-C638-42CA-8EF9-3AFFF2EFEAE6.jpeg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks @rockm i Have decided on Ron Lang. After a little price shock i want to spend what I need to on this tree, I plan to keep it for a very long time. Anyway open to thoughts on those that are more experienced pairing pots and trees but pictured is what I am thinking.
View attachment 182342View attachment 182343
I think that pot is good, but it's a little too shallow and not substantial enough to visually support that nice trunk and deadwood.

I think something like the pot below that might work. Don't know if you're set on a rectangle, but a deep unglazed rugged oval might work too.

Attachments

• REC52Lg.jpg
    REC52Lg.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 28
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think that pot is good, but it's a little too shallow and not substantial enough to visually support that nice trunk and deadwood.

I think something like the pot below that might work. Don't know if you're set on a rectangle, but a deep unglazed rugged oval might work too.
I like that pot and see what you are saying about the “not substantial enough”. Do you think it would work but a bit deeper? I like the pot you showed. I don’t know why but at this moment ovals give me a sick feeling in my stomach haha. Here is another option, what do you think of this?
61AAA0E2-0CBA-427C-89DD-ECB5FA53D8D5.jpeg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have to say that I don't think that Lang pots are overpriced for what you get. And with no additional charge for custom work. He will add touches to your pot that you wouldn't think of (he'll make sure you approve before he makes the pot) and it makes the pot fit the tree so much better. Please contact him and send him a photo of your tree. He can give you suggestions that won't be guesswork. He has put a lot of pots under a lot of trees, so he knows what works.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like that pot and see what you are saying about the “not substantial enough”. Do you think it would work but a bit deeper? I like the pot you showed. I don’t know why but at this moment ovals give me a sick feeling in my stomach haha. Here is another option, what do you think of this?
View attachment 182351
I still think it's still a little too shallow, not enough visual weight for that trunk. I like the glaze better, though.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Matt, after scanning these photos....

It seems the best work is where pot is made specifically for tree, the slanting oval, likely the wide shallow rectangle...

But it seems you may have a few more years of work before He could really nail it nail it...
(And nailing it nailing it is...damn)
Because while the trunk offers a starting point, the foliage being both low and close, and further away, also with the extended jin..
It seems many possible futures which would greatly effect nailing it nailing it imo.

For instance...if you can get this any lower....
Something like that wide and shallow joint may offer an interesting landscape that brings that entire length of jin over pot.

I feel the tree you know you are making fits into a shape like these posted.

The rough outline(canopy) its in now has me wanting to see it in a pot that extends forward and right in your pic, to about where that line where the light board ends.

Ummmm...That is a fat ass trunk!
You can easily add more width and depth to that tub and still have a whopper ass trunk!

Especially when the foliage is tightened in and it seems bigger as Fuuuuck!

For me, the tub is just into "uncomfortably" small.

The tree is at soil line pimp!

But if anything can be removed, to safely get it into a pot an inch or so shorter than the tub....I think THAT will show a tiny bit more perfect...

And when it comes to you, these trees you collect, and that Custom Lang....
Don't underestimate how wicked frickin sick they can be.

Wicked sick enough for that possible inch to matter!

So ..I'd buy one that "works" now if you must, because you'll have a tree Thats perfect for it one day. ..

In the meantime....keep saving for when this gets dialed in...and unleash that nailing it nailing it on this then!

Oh and by saving...I'm assuming you mean waiting till you have it in you to part with one or 2 of your trees? Don't you sell them?
Can't cost more than a tree like this!
Trade!

Anyway....

Thanks for sharing that bit RocKM.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
It seems many possible futures which would greatly effect nailing it nailing it imo
Good point, this really is just the first proper pot for this. This tree has just started its life as a bonsai it could go a few different unknown directions. I also like your idea of extending a rectangle to the right. I have considered a few other options too for the next potting after this one. It will be nice to see it out of a cracked plastic tub though.

I have not really sold trees at all, but I think I will sell a few occasionally to pay for pots etc. Not this one though :)

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
I have to say that I don't think that Lang pots are overpriced for what you get. And with no additional charge for custom work. He will add touches to your pot that you wouldn't think of (he'll make sure you approve before he makes the pot) and it makes the pot fit the tree so much better. Please contact him and send him a photo of your tree. He can give you suggestions that won't be guesswork. He has put a lot of pots under a lot of trees, so he knows what works.

I spent some good money on several Lang pots but they just didn't hold up in the FL sun. All the glazes and the colors have disappeared or started to on the sunny sides in less than 3 yrs. I was very disappointed.

20170213_073657.jpg20170213_073824.jpg20170213_073851.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I spent some good money on several Lang pots but they just didn't hold up in the FL sun. All the glazes and the colors have disappeared or started to on the sunny sides in less than 3 yrs. I was very disappointed.

View attachment 182441View attachment 182442View attachment 182443

Oooo ..hybrid eeeew.

Not saying it cant happen , hell, never seen this!

But I can only question if maybe there is a possibility of some chemical reaction, with either fert, pest, bung fung, or even leady tap that seems more likely to effect a glaze like that....

Curious if you contacted him about it.
He must have a couple other joints in Florida.

I feel for you....those don't look like trees or pots or trees and pots that I would be anything less than heartbroken over if that happened.

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Wow, never heard or seen this problem before. I would most certainly contact Ron about this, I'm sure he'd want to know about a problem like this. And he's a standup guy, he may want to compensate you in some way.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Top Bottom