Who knows a potter in the US that can make a really good rectangle?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
To be quite honest.....
I'm getting better at timing, and understanding how and when tools work to perfect different parts...
Having a wicked idea fall short because the boiler turns on and shit starts drying faster blah blah blah....

That....is a pain in the ass....

Knowing that it is what it takes to make you a pot you will love....
Makes it much less of a pain in the ass!

But by summer when the basement stays consistent....and my skillhand sharpens....

Done!

Me personally.......

I love how a simple, clean, unnoticed pot makes a tree great.....

But I also love very tree specific pots.......

Oh...Damn....

I am so sorry I have not been in touch with you.....I have this "Bonsai Idea" of we can wait forever! Sorry for that!
I am nearing that point where I almost could/should have made others so that I had one done already...but I committed to personalizing it and I can't screw it up!

I have every intention of getting it in next week! That is....if I can commit to excellence!

Tomorrow I open the latest glaze fore for the most recent idea of how to achieve perfection!

I will force patience on you no longer!

Bloody hell!

When do we talk about how I pulled up to Cass to see the "appointment only" sign in the front....and Damn if that 3in snowchunk ice storm didn't force all Sundays baseball into Saturday...so we didn't have time for anything! Argh.

Sorce
I don't need perfection, don't pressure yourself for God's sake. I can't repot for awhile anyway, just didn't want you to sink to far into the unglazed phase. Are you kidding me, you were at Cass? That is 7 miles from my house, and you didn't tell me???? The least you could have done, is stopped in for a beer. I'm seriously pissed.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Everyone seems to be trying to outdo each others glazes
Kind of ridiculous.
I don't really like the fancy glazed pots too much.
I have one that I really like. Its gray.
I'm an unglazed,plain,simple pot kind of guy.
For me the pot represents the earth. And should only compliment the tree,not detract from it.
And as long as the pot holds up I don't care if it's mass produced and cheap. In fact that's how I like them. Except it's hard to get round ones.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
seriously pissed.

Me too...

I didn't even go fishing....

With the way I get stuck into baseball games....it seemed kinda rude...to jist invite you All to a game....then straight ignore you!

@M. Frary I made you a rather special pot...
Plain....round....even with the front flush feet ... And it looks good!
No glaze....but special! It too....will be inside the kiln with WP, Wireme's, and Carols pot!

I think its cool to have a pot fired with aomsone else's...especially WP! How cool!

Love y All....thanks for the support!
Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@M. Frary I made you a rather special pot...
Plain....round....even with the front flush feet .
Well then,it looks like we got some things to work out.
I really want to put you in the driver's seat of a tamarack still but after the last one croaked in the mail on its way to you, I'm leary about shipping trees.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well then,it looks like we got some things to work out.
I really want to put you in the driver's seat of a tamarack still but after the last one croaked in the mail on its way to you, I'm leary about shipping trees.

Screw shipping! If I don't make it to ANY OTHER BONSAI event this year.....

I AM COMING TO THE MICHIGAN SHOW....
Even if I have to walk!
Even if just to drop off your pots....

As soon as you get dates let me know.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks everyone, I was starting think there were no options. I was way off. I love the Ron Lang pots and it seems like he does a lot that are larger rectangles. @sorce I knew you were doing pots but I didnt realize you were already venturing into something bigger. Do you think you could make something like this unglazed? Also, I will be at the Michigan show, definietly will have to say hi.

I agree with the american bonsai potters and all the glazes, unglazed and rough around the edges is my preferred.
Some great recommendations here. Ill post up what I come up with.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, to be quite frank, I don't give a shit about pairing. If it looks good, pot it. I'm picky about proper construction and finish. If the finish is meant to be imperfect (which is much harder to pull off) then it needs to be "naturally" imperfect. If the finish is meant to be a fine finish, then there better not be imperfections. I know, I know, I'm a pain in the ass.

In removing this from the kiln right now I couldn't help but think about this being a great example of this finish topic...

Feeling so Blessed this morning that I emailed the woman I got my kiln from to ask her what her deceased mother's name is, because I found myself thanking her in tears a few minutes ago.

These are not just rectangles.
This is Earth and Spirit, energies for trees and humans. This is not just a pot. This is an opportunity to connect people with Earth, people with people, trees with our hearts and spread my Angelic Plague.

This is my Sorcery!
20180317_063129.jpg20180317_063133.jpg20180317_063143.jpg

Norf Norf!

Sorce

Add P.S. I found an old electric and will be firing flat in a chamber the next size up if all goes well.....shit....I almost bought a clearance bag of bbq pellets for a pit fire ...
And I have every intention of building a 3 week wood fire joint before I die.
You ever see the 3 and four man thrown giant rounds? I am on a mission to do rectangles that large....shit you gotta hand build in the kiln!...this may take longer than my promise to Mellow Mullet....but with exactly the same will....I am not playing.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
am on a mission to do rectangles that large....shit you gotta hand build in the kiln!...this may take longer than my promise to Mellow Mullet....but with exactly the same will....I am not playing.

Somehow....

This has everything to do with how my love for N-scale models(mame), stemmed from my childhood by the tracks jumping on freight trains. Love the Big Ones!

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I AM COMING TO THE MICHIGAN SHOW
That will be most excellent.
I know Vance mentioned you coming and some others too.
I haven't talked to him in a couple weeks. He was sick with bronchitis. I see he hasn't posted here in bit too.
Maybe I better get him on the horn today and see how he's doing.

pitchpine

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you're looking for round unglazed pots I highly recommend Chuck Iker! https://www.ikerbonsaipots.com

Kind of ridiculous.
I'm an unglazed,plain,simple pot kind of guy.
For me the pot represents the earth. And should only compliment the tree,not detract from it.
And as long as the pot holds up I don't care if it's mass produced and cheap. In fact that's how I like them. Except it's hard to get round ones.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was just talking with the much more easier to summon here than on FB @aml1014 about tipping bigguns sideways.

Unglazed should be easy, glazed more difficult but that's just a need for solutions.

My @barrosinc rectangle size now sitting flat is about 14x10...

I have to get My WP rectangle fired before the end of next week..
And I think the Wireme rectangle will dry soon enough to also see that load......

When you see that Wireme joint......

Awe shit! Even the Sorceress likes it!

Should serve as an excellent representation of what a Sorcemission pot IS.

Crazy Excited!o_O

Sorce
I have no idea what you just said.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey Judy I don't do the traditional Japanese style pot, save that for the Masters... I post to Facebook and instagram under Broken Branch Pottery.
I've used many non Japanese pots. I like them too, but there are plenty of great pots being made right here. I'll make sure to find your page...

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kind of ridiculous.
I'm an unglazed,plain,simple pot kind
of guy.
@M. Frary I think you should carve a pot from Oak with a chainsaw!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@M. Frary I think you should carve a pot from Oak with a chainsaw!
Oak is for firewood and furniture. I do kill a lot of them though.
With this thing. I don't hardly use saws anymore. 22 inch diameter trees are off the stump in less than a second and carried to wherever I want them. Where I work we run 2 and clear from 10 to 15 acres a day. I gave up line clearance to go back to doing this job. Just me,the machine and the trees that need a good killing. 20180307_155920.jpg

Last edited:

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oak is for firewood and furniture. I do kill a lot of them though.
With this thing. I don't hardly use saws anymore. 22 inch diameter trees are off the stump in less than a second and carried to wherever I want them. Where I work we run 2 and clear from 10 to 15 acres a day. I gave up line clearance to go back to doing this job. Just me,the machine and the trees that need a good killing. View attachment 182078
Holy HOT SAW HARVESTER BUNCHER!!! That's 1BMF!

Top Bottom