When to Scion Graft?

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now if you have a greenhouse that is kept above freezing
For the many who don't have greenhouses then? I'm partially answering my own question here, but I have heard January to Feb is a good time because you don't want a tree to be active when grafting. But I have also heard you'd want to start grafting in March-April as well, by that time, the tree could start to be active.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For the many who don't have greenhouses then? I'm partially answering my own question here, but I have heard January to Feb is a good time because you don't want a tree to be active when grafting. But I have also heard you'd want to start grafting in March-April as well, by that time, the tree could start to be active.
Both responses can be correct depending on the zone you live in. The best time is just before the tree becomes active for the new growing season. This allows the scion to receive nutrients and active healing quickly after being placed. For my location 8b the best time for Pine is usually end of February, beginning of March. For Juniper i wait longer end of April beginning of May for better success. For those in California, January/February works fine for Pine.

Top Bottom