when to repot ume

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phillthy, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Phillthy

Phillthy Mame

i was wondering if someone can tell me whens a good time to repot an ume and how much roots can i take off?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this ad.
  3. Brian Van Fleet

Brian Van Fleet Imperial Masterpiece

Same time as all other d-trees in the spring, but don't take off (m)any fine roots. You can shorten the thick ones. I repot mine pretty much annually, but it's more a soil change than a root prune.
    6176688128_IMG_7798.JPG

just.wing.it, defra and sorce like this.
  4. Phillthy

Phillthy Mame

I was looking at mine today and I noticed a few holes on the leaves. I looked closer but I couldn't find any bugs. I'll take a photo tomorrow

5. chansen

chansen Shohin

Shothole fungus.

6. Phillthy

Phillthy Mame

What's the best way to treat it?

7. Rambles

Rambles Mame

If it is in fact shothole, the best treatment is prevention: avoid overhead watering, remove leaf debris and contaminated mulch, and make sure the tree has good airflow around it.

Treatment includes antifungal sprays containing mancozeb and/or fixed copper compounds. Follow directions on the label.

Honestly, this goes for most folial fungi you'll encounter

8. GrimLore

GrimLore Imperial Masterpiece

Picture would help, could be Japanese Beetles at night in these parts...

Grimmy

9. Dav4

Dav4 Imperial Masterpiece

In my experience, Ume, being a member of the Rose family, tend to be afflicted by multiple insects and fungal maladies. By this time of year, the leaves start to look a bit ratty here and there, but more so on the trees I have growing out in the yard. If the damage is sparse, I honestly wouldn't concern myself with it too much, but continue to monitor until leaf drop this fall. Fwiw, I have started dressing the soil of my potted Ume with granular Clearys, a systemic anti-fungal, each late winter as they break dormancy. So far, so good.

petegreg likes this.
  10. Giga

Giga Masterpiece

Depending on your climate, you can repot from right after flowering to early spring before buds open. Just protect from frost. And don't go heavy on the root pruning. Light racking and maybe one large root removal if needed. Ume are a magnet so you should treat regularly. I use systematic twice a year and copper and draconial when needed

petegreg likes this.
  11. Phillthy

Phillthy Mame

Here are some photos

Attached Files:

12. Dav4

Very minor damage, so I wouldn't worry about this.

petegreg and tstrum like this.
  13. tstrum

tstrum Mame

I get small damage like this on my trident maple quite often. It never seems to lead to anything too serious but what could be some of the causes of this type of damage?

14. Phillthy

Phillthy Mame

Sort of off topic but I'm struggling with the styling of this thing? The first photo is the front that I picked out. I feel like there is an ugly gap in between the foliage. The second photo is the back. And the third is where I'm contemplating to trunk chop it. Any opinions? I don't have much experience with styling so anything helps.

Attached Files:

15. petegreg

petegreg Masterpiece

The main imperfection is the straight trunk going out of soil just straight up. No problem with a such a young tree. Play with it, tilt it... I like your criss-crossed picture by red, the idea of getting rid of actual leader, but much later, I'd let it run free as a sacrifice growth and A-L it later.

16. Dav4

My best guess would be bugs or slugs.

17. Brian Van Fleet

Looks like you lost a couple significant branches that have resulted in a thought to redesign the tree? If you want a project, you could chop it and make the first right branch a new section of trunk. Though, it really doesn't solve the problem. What's there looks healthy, and in fact, it looks like you'll have flowers this winter.

Maybe leave the shoots long and use them to thread-graft new branches on where you lost some recently. If you want to go that route, start wiring a couple long and strong shoots down so they're bent down close to where you need them before they get too stiff and brittle, then thread-graft them just before the buds start to swell next spring.

18. Phillthy

Phillthy Mame

Here’s an update with the leaves dropped. Still undecided on styling.....

Attached Files:

just.wing.it likes this.
  19. Brian Van Fleet

Well, it’s about to flower, so I wouldn’t do anything for now but enjoy the show.

20. Phillthy

Phillthy Mame

I’m going to follow this care guide I found on the internet. It says to cut back after flowering. How hard can I cut back? Do I only cut back the green stems or can I cut back to the woody part of the branches?

Attached Files:

21. Brian Van Fleet

What could possibly go wrong?
    And that’s the problem with just following something you found on the internet. I don’t understand the logic of following a guide that leaves you still asking the most basic of questions while disregarding people here who have experience with ume and a willingness to help you.

Here are several articles I have written on ume that address all of your questions. Photos, directions, and results, even an interview with a botanist. If you want to get the results I get, you’re welcome to follow along. Best of luck.

LanceMac10 likes this.