What's up with this maple?

eland

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Since we are on the subject. Can anyone help me figure out what is going on with this maple and what should be done?

Attachments

• maple .jpg
    maple .jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 96

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When I see those crispy leaf tips, I immediately think leaf burn. Has it been hot and sunny up in Bellevue? Japanese maples are really sensitive to sun on new growth.

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
I immediately think leaf burn
I agree. In my experience even hardened leaves are very sensitive, at least on some varieties.
Below my Deshojo with a few sunburns on the most exposed leaves on top. The leaves on the shaded branches and even the young growth on top are apparently not affected.

Attachments

• 20170528_100846.jpg
    20170528_100846.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

eland

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the replies. It does seem to be mostly on the upper leaves. It has been pretty sunny lately. Is it best to leave them alone or take them off?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is leaf blight. Sun does not affect spots on a leaf. When a maple gets sun damage the whole leaf turns brown not just select parts of it.

Treat with daconil weekly and remove the spotted leaves one by one. The tree will right itself. Also do not water the leaves late at night and make sure it receives adequate air circulation.

I can't stress enough "not watering a maple thru the canopy".

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since we are on the subject. Can anyone help me figure out what is going on with this maple and what should be done?

Not good!?!?! I have a bunch of Japanese Maples and that's something I have yet to see.:confused::confused::confused::confused::eek:

That is leaf blight. Sun does not affect spots on a leaf. When a maple gets sun damage the whole leaf turns brown not just select parts of it.

Treat with daconil weekly and remove the spotted leaves one by one. The tree will right itself. Also do not water the leaves late at night and make sure it receives adequate air circulation.

I can't stress enough "not watering a maple thru the canopy".

You should heed this advice......post haste!!;):):):):)

Top Bottom