What's this worth? Bonsai Today

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Someone wants my old bonsai magzines. He found the most valuable ones. But what exactly are they worth?

Bonsai Today, #1 to 27 + 38, good condition. #1 is the first print!!

Bosdsai Club Germany magazine issue 1 fro 1978 in very good condition
issues 21 - 36, 1984 to 1987

Does someone have an idea of what to charge?

walter@walter-pall.de

Da will einer meinen alten Bonsaimagazine kaufen. Er hat sich natürlich die wertvollsten heraus gesucht. Hat da jemand hier eine Vorstellung, was das kosten könnte

Bonsai Club Deutschland Zeitschrift:
Heft 1, noch ohne Nummer, bestens erhalten, Dezember 1978
Hefte 21 bis 36, 1984 bis 1987, gut erhalten

Bonsai Today: Heft 1 bis 27 plus 38, gut erhalten, Heft 1 ist die Erstausgabe (nicht der Nachdruck)

besten Dank für die Hilfe.

Attachments

• TSA_1673w.jpg
    TSA_1673w.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 33
  • TSA_1674w.jpg
    TSA_1674w.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 31
  • TSA_1677w.jpg
    TSA_1677w.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 24
  • TSA_1678w.jpg
    TSA_1678w.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 56

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Someone wants my old bonsai magzines. He found the most valuable ones. But what exactly are they worth?

walter@walter-pall.de

Da will einer meinen alten Bonsaimagazine kaufen. Er hat sich natürlich die wertvollsten heraus gesucht. Hat da jemand hier eine Vorstellung, was das kosten könnte

Bonsai Today: Heft 1 bis 27 plus 38, gut erhalten, Heft 1 ist die Erstausgabe (nicht der Nachdruck)

I've seen those run from $7 to $20 per issue on ebay here. #1 is probably worth more. The complete set #1 through #27 might bring $100-$150, maybe $200. You could probably get more if you added an autograph or two.

A search on Google found that Dale Cochoy asked $1,000 for an entire collection #1-#133. Don't know if he got it.
http://bonsaistudygroup.com/general...ollection-of-bonsai-today-magazines-for-sale/

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I don't know how much they are worth, but #1 could easily go for more than $40

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My dad always told me “it’s only worth what someone will pay you for it,” I think when trying to talk me out of spending my lawn mowing proceeds on baseball cards. When I try to value something that has a limited audience I also go to ebay.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Bonsai Today #2 is worth the most, if people are trying to get a complete collection, because they had two production runs of Bonsai Today #1 (an original, and one that says "second edition" on the cover) so there are more copies of #1 floating around out there.

You will always get the most money for the earlier issues (#1 - 12) if you sell them separately. However I have recently seen a lot of complete sets being sold on eBay, and I have a feeling that many people who wanted a complete set now have one. You probably have to find someone getting into the hobby who wants to buy a 30 year-old set of magazines... and I don't know how many of those people there are out there.

When I have something that I don't know the value of, I simply put it up on eBay with no reserve price. I have never been disappointed in the final value that I receive, because the "no reserve" tends to get the largest audience interested in the auction.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

walter@walter-pall.de

If you establish a price for the first group, i would appreciate the opportunity to bid on them.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have been helping a widow sell her husband’s bonsai collection and sold his Bonsai Today magazines in several small sets, on eBay and on $.99 Auctions on FB in February, and here is what they fetched in USD:
FDB71034-E42F-47A4-9522-B51C21425548.jpeg
Average of $8.42 each, and $210.50 for 1-25. #2 has been the rarest for a long time, but currently, 12 and 20 are the more sought-after issues. Like anything, the prices fluctuate and it seems lately, they’ve been on the low side.

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Prices are all over the place aren't they! Bonsai Today seem to be worth more in the USA for sure but the postage from Europe sucks......

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I bought my full set, all issues, from Josef on FB Auctions, $400 delivered. Prices vary widely....

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
I bought my full set, all issues, from Josef on FB Auctions, $400 delivered. Prices vary widely....

Nice, mine cost me a lot more than that!!! I had to pick them up mixed in with book job lots, as one-offs from nurseries, and as incomplete collections - I got to about 200 issues before I had an actual full set, not what I had in mind when I started.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you all for your help. With all this information I am now offering the set at "Bonsai Auction" at facebook.

Find the auction here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bonsai.sales/

Bonsai Today magazine #1 to 27 plus #38. All in good condition. Number 1 is the first issue! There was a reprint which is offered for way over US$ 100 already. The original issue should be worth a lot more.
Besides the value as collection these magazines are full of information which is still quite valuable.

The magazines are in Germany now. The buyer has to pay shipping. To North America this would be US$ 48.- To Europe it would be 18 Euro. Paypal accepted.

Starting price US$ 390.- no reserve

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hope you get your price. I was approached after one FB auction with a lowball offer from some random, which I politely countered, and then proceed to sell the magazines for over 3x his offer. He later attempted to engage me in an unsolicited, rather protracted, pompous, condescending, unpleasant and one-sided rant through Messenger. Which I largely ignored, other than to tell him to harass someone else, and then to laugh at the low value he continued to place on his own time. His first name was also Brian, in case you hear from him.

Top Bottom