What's happening to the leaves on my amur maple (acer ginnala)?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This doesn't strike me as chlorosis, or is it? Fungus? Pest? Normal and harmless? Any information greatly appreciated!

IMG_3159.pngIMG_3160.pngIMG_3162.pngIMG_3161.png

On a related note, are "what's wrong with my leaves" questions on this forum the equivalent of "does this look infected" or "do these jeans make me look fat"?

It looks bacterial right?

I'm curious too- my Amurs did this, but then it just disappeared with no lasting effect. I suspect it's fungal, maybe from root stress? My thinking for it coming from the roots is how it regularly appears on the margins of the leaves- infection of the leaves per se would not have any discernable pattern.

In any case, (my) amur maples are so vigorous that it scarcely mattered.

Looks like a fungus to me, but I'm no tree doctor. What's the moisture levels like? Any odd odors?

Tree was collected from yard 18 months ago (spring of 2022) and placed in a starter pot. Over-wintered and came out strong this year. Up-potted in May, continued to thrive. Snipped off an unwanted leader (not the top apical leader; see very rough drawing) roughly three weeks later. Growth slowed somewhat but not unexpected. Substrate is free-draining Bonsai Jack's soil (zero puddling or overflow; straight through). No smell of root rot; no fungus gnats. Thank you peeps!

Attachments

• 1691291929957.png
    1691291929957.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 57
Tree was collected from yard 18 months ago (spring of 2022) and placed in a starter pot. Over-wintered and came out strong this year. Up-potted in May, continued to thrive. Snipped off an unwanted leader (not the top apical leader; see very rough drawing) roughly three weeks later. Growth slowed somewhat but not unexpected. Substrate is free-draining Bonsai Jack's soil (zero puddling or overflow; straight through). No smell of root rot; no fungus gnats. Thank you peeps!
Thanks for the info, this will help people figure out what's going on. Other people, because I'm out of my depth.

Appears to be one of the various fungal leaf spot diseases common to maples
I'm not well versed on how fungal diseases work other than those that are transferred directly to the leaf surface (topical), which is pretty common. Basically, this looks systemic rather than topical. With that in mind, I suspect it became infected when I made that cut. It was the lowest branch on the tree, so it's difficult to pinpoint since all branches above it are infected... but decreasing with the higher branches. I'm usually pretty diligent in keeping my tools clean but have become somewhat lax this year. I honestly think that's what happened... that I introduced a fungus or bacterium when I made that cut. I sealed it, but that didn't matter if the infection was already introduced. Anyway, I appreciate the peeps who responded and I hope this weird little thread helps others. Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom