What's going on with this?

KDuffLive

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bought this tree a week ago, i haven't done anything to it and now it's turning brown. From what I have read it takes a long time for junipers to turn brown when they die (if that is the case). Is this normal, reversible or should I return it? Any input would be appreciated. The pics are of now and when I received the tree.

Attachments

• 20170723_185124.jpg
    20170723_185124.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 20170716_190014.jpg
    20170716_190014.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 98

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Spider mites most likely or fungal. Take a sheet of paper and place it under the affected branch and shake it. If you see red dots moving its mites. If it stays wet for a long period of time it can develop fungus

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Spider mite damage can take months to look like this. Same with other juniper pests like scale. This damage does not appear to be water related either. I would guess this is fungal because of the sudden onset. Juniper tip blight, perhaps. Spray with Daconil or copper fungicide.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Spider mite damage can take months to look like this. Same with other juniper pests like scale. This damage does not appear to be water related either. I would guess this is fungal because of the sudden onset. Juniper tip blight, perhaps. Spray with Daconil or copper fungicide.
Funny, my first thoughts were spider mites and lack of water. I've had spider mites come on in a few days.
DSCF8330.JPG DSCF8439.JPG

KDuffLive

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks guys i appreciate the help. I have no bonsai shops around me at all so is that something I can get and Home Depot or is it going to be online?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Well, you're going to need to make an accurate diagnosis first, then yes; you'll likely find what you need at Home Depot. Get Malathion if it's mites, and Daconil if it's fungal. Don't buy any products "specifically for bonsai", because there is no insecticide, fungicide, or fertilizer specifically for bonsai. That label just means more $$.

Also, learn to water correctly: https://bonsainut.com/resources/watering-bonsai-trees.10/

Top Bottom