whats causing this?is this normal?

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i got these jwp seedlings a couple weeks ago and yesterday i noticed they are getting droopy and the needles near the base are looking like they are drying up.
they've been in about 6-8 hrs sun and i've watered them well.
the only difference has been a the temps have dropped a few degrees and the nights have gotten a little cooler
P1060734.JPG P1060735.JPG is it just a matter of sticking a couple chopsticks in the soil to brace them up

Can't remember, did you pot these or were they already in the containers? My guesses:

If they arrived in those pots, I suspect they're "damping off". Look it up to verify.
If they arrived bare-root or wrapped, I suspect they're wilting due to root manipulation and potting.

Watch water, no wind, but plenty of light, outside, and maybe they'll perk up. JBP don't need to completely dry out between watering, in fact, they appreciate porous soil that can be watered regularly.

thanks for the advice,so don't try to prop them up-wait for them to perk up them selves

they arrived in pots,however much(30-40%)of the soil fell out during shipping.

i actually potted one in a pond basket when it arrived and that one seems to be doing well.it has a slight droopy head thing going on(like a sunflower)but nothing like these and shows no signs of the needles drying up.(the soil is 4 part drystall,2-3 part fullers earth,2 part chicken grit,1-2 part pine bark).

the soil in the ones in there original pots are larger partical pumice/perlite and seem very loose and don't seem to be supporting the plants well.
since the repotted one is doing well i was gonna repot these but wanted to ask you guys first

I got a Red Pine in my cutting exchange from earlier this year and it was kind of droopy for the first couple weeks, but once it started growing well it really perked up. Different variety, but I hope yours respond similarly. I hate to say it, but those dried out needles do not look good!

What are they planted in? Looks like Perlite.. NM, see you answered this above. That mix sounds more reasonable for rooting cuttings than for growing a tree long term. I suspect they got dried out at some point, and that can be fatal even if they were only totally dry for a day or so.

perlite/pumice mix but it seems more perlite

If i'm damping i look almost the same.

Back
Top Bottom