What Unexpected Plants/Species Have Done Well For You?

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I wanted to make a thread pointing out species you’ve been working with that may not necessarily be native to your region, but have been growing well for you. The idea is to open up discussion for members to share their insight with species they’ve been working with that aren’t normally grown in that area that have been doing well and lend themselves to be a viable species for bonsai. This allows others to get ideas based on zone location to try out plants they otherwise might not consider.

For example, I’ve had considerable success growing goji berry this year. This is only my second year growing this species and none of the members in my club grow them. They’re extremely heat and cold tolerant. The one caveat is they’re probably one of the thirstiest plants on my bench. I keep mine in a tray of water once it starts getting over 85; similar to wisteria. They’ll droop under intense heat, but perk right back up once out of direct sun and keep chugging along. I’ve had about 4-5ft worth of growth since spring. Growing them from seed is probably one of the easiest I’ve tried. Their small fruit also lends itself well. Overall, really great contender for accent plant or even actual bonsai if you stick them in the ground for a few years. They’re not very often seen around here and a species I’d love to see more of.

What odd/unexpected species have been growing well for you? What has and hasn’t worked?

Weigela. Gnarly bark, twisty trunks, leaves reduce real well, tight ramification. Really liking it so far, think I have 6 or 7 of them now. I have a couple potted that I've pinched at least 6 times already this year.
Here's the base on one I'm letting grow a long leader to bulk up the base.

if I get time I'll show a photo of reduced vs full size leaves.
20240622_190838.jpg

Last edited:
I cant grow boxwood
There is a leaf miner in my area that kills them every time.

Only thing I was pleasantly surprised does well for me is larch, specifically Japanese Larch.
I have a North American Larch Im trying, not sure yet if it will do well

Bougainvillea are not sold here because they would never survive our winters. But they do surprisingly well under lights in the winter, blooming frequently. I pop them back outside in the spring and they enjoy their summer outside. I have learned to give them a taste of cool weather to avoid total leaf drop when moved in, meaning lower than the normal 50 degrees when most bring theirs inside.

Back
Top Bottom