What to do first?

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been interested in bonsai for quite a while now and have recently purchased mountain fire Andromeda. It's been very hit or miss on information so I came here for help. I have literally no clue where to start once I have bought it. Do I cut the roots and leave it be for the growing season? Should I defoliate first? Any advice would be appreciated!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
mountain fire Andromeda.

This sounds like a "Truth behind Roswell" t.V. series....

Is Klinger like...for Klingon and if I make Star Trek Jokes you will be offended?

Because if you bought a tree that sounded like an alien spaceship movie because you love alien space ship movies.....

Crazy just Got Real!

Welcome to It!

Pics!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cool tree...I would so work with keeping it happy and healthy.

A side note...I used to have one. Bought it and it was so thick I didn't realize it had severe frost damage to the trunk which did it in. But...when it comes to pruning...be aware they need foliage left on a branch or it will die back. (So what I learned in a YouTube video of a nursery pruning one.)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah put it outside in a sunny spot and learn how to water it. Lift to feel how heavy before watering and then after.
Learn the latin name so that you can research care. I believe Pieris japonica similar to Azalea or Rhododendron care and there is likely a lot more material out there. You have about a year to plan for your first repotting, and then two years before your fist styling if all goes well.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hi all, I've been interested in bonsai for quite a while now and have recently purchased mountain fire Andromeda. It's been very hit or miss on information so I came here for help. I have literally no clue where to start once I have bought it. Do I cut the roots and leave it be for the growing season? Should I defoliate first? Any advice would be appreciated!

Can you post pictures please (especially the lower trunk/roots and the soil)? Can you tell us about where you got it? Was is a "nursery tree" in a plastic pot? Is it already in a bonsai pot? If the latter, did you get it from a bonsai nursery?

There might be some work that it makes sense to do sooner rather than later. But I don't think you've given us enough information to tell that (hence the always wise advice to sit on your scissors, for now).

ETA: It would also be helpful to hear about your "goals" for this tree. Do you want to develop it into something prize-winning? Do you want to get it into a bonsai pot? Do you want the trunk to get bigger? Do you want to learn how to wire and repot without worrying (too much) about killing it? Do you want it to be less ugly? etc.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This sounds like a "Truth behind Roswell" t.V. series....

Is Klinger like...for Klingon and if I make Star Trek Jokes you will be offended?

Because if you bought a tree that sounded like an alien spaceship movie because you love alien space ship movies.....

Crazy just Got Real!

Welcome to It!

Pics!

Sorce

Klinger is a TV character on M*A*S*H 4077.....Not a handsome fellow.....

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!
I live in Hillsboro, Oregon, so I got it from a local nursery, not a bonsai nursery. It's in a plastic pot as well. I've attached 3 pictures as well!

Attachments

• 20180320_121712.jpg
    20180320_121712.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20180320_121744.jpg
    20180320_121744.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20180320_121751.jpg
    20180320_121751.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 25

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very true lol

But not bad in a dress, shawl and heels!!! Great show!! I know this plant as a Bog Rosemary.....tricky, picky grower in a container. I might think about trying something else. It's an acid loving plant I believe, so avoid tap water.:D

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
acid loving plant

They was on that shit in Nam too ain't it!?

So go forward on the Star Trek Jokes!? Lol!

So this Is more....
You saw this space ship plant, and figured since you couldn't shoot it out of the air...
Might as well bring it home and do it like a rug under blue suede shoes?

Do it like Delia got done?

We're bout to have a Newb contest....
Sounds like if you want a Great Life Change you might should join!

They can't cure this disease...not even in that shitty old tent!

Sorce

Top Bottom