What is on my Chinese elm?

Coooltan

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I’ve had this tree for 3 years now and just got around to getting it out of its root bound pot. I’ve been working 70 hours a week so I’ve depressingly had no time or energy to do anything but keep them alive for the past couple of years.

A couple months ago, I noticed this weird white growth scattered sparingly along some of the outer branches. I didn’t think much of it as it kind of looked like some weird bark. Fast forward 2 months, I inspect it again when repotting it and the growth is everywhere. It’s taken the foliage from a branch it seems, but it could also be drop from the repot as that’s the only area that has experienced massive drop.

What is it and how do I get rid of it?

I’ve been spraying with neem oil for the last month with no success.

I’m also in the central Florida area.

Thank y’all!

Attachments

• IMG_8019.jpeg
    IMG_8019.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8020.jpeg
    IMG_8020.jpeg
    348.7 KB · Views: 32

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like scale to me. If you are energetic you can rub it off with a wet cloth but there is a lot of it and needs to be repeated several times to get the hatchlings. A systemic insecticide will kill them, Bonide for example makes a good one, just Google scale killer for more.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
The mature scale, can be a Little tougher to kill with insecticides. Their shell protects them. I’d spray with horticultural oil -at dusk to reduce risk of oil burn- and then remove the mature ones with a cloth.
A Systemic drench could also be used when watering.

Top Bottom