What happens when a big tree hits a bigger tree...

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Damn. This really sucks. I hope that big azalea is salvageable. So sorry to see these pics. This was a really heavy wet snow for sure.
The azalea lost some small branches... need to get out there today and give her a more thorough look see, though.

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Dav4 It always sucks to unexpectedly lose trees that you have future plans for. Been there, and it's always upsetting. My strategy is to replace every tree I lose with 1-2 more, and 2-3 more for those I really liked. =)

And remember - you may have lost some trees, but you still have all the experience that helped you find and develop those trees in the first place, so I have no doubt your collection will continue to thrive despite the set back.

Good luck!

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I can feel your pain... This is very tough, indeed.
But like Adair said : just thinking it could be worse and people harmed or wounded can give you comfort.
The only tree on that side of the yard that could have damaged my trees did...
The Murphy's law my friend, unfortunately...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn trees!
It sucks,I know.
There is no replacing time spent.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Crap that sucks Dave. I worry about that happening in my yard too with big trees in my neighbor's yard. Good luck with everything.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I wish you can salvage the most of them harmed trees.....

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I build pretty good benches, too... maybe not as aesthetically pleasing as some might want but strong and functional. They sure took a beating yesterday, though.

IMG_0231 (1).jpg IMG_0230.jpg IMG_0233.jpg IMG_0232.jpg IMG_0235.jpg

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Really harsh. My sympathy. My guess is that we all lose that many trees. Just one at a time and quietly. Mass loss like that must be a brutal kick in the stomach. I realize this is small consolation, but some of the most interesting material I’ve collected has come from areas of heavy deadfall. Smaller trees get broken and smashed. Often they prove remarkably resilient,with unique features. With your experience and skill level, I’m thinking we may see some special trees come out of this carnage.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Terrible stuff Dave! I hope the holidays can bring you the joy you need after something like this. I just got horrible news myself, my favourite old uncle died in a house fire last night. Tough news...

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Terrible stuff Dave! I hope the holidays can bring you the joy you need after something like this. I just got horrible news myself, my favourite old uncle died in a house fire last night. Tough news...
Truly terrible news. You and your family are in my thoughts.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very sorry for your loss.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
any chance to get it into a cold frame and graft something back onto the red pine stump?

Top Bottom