Western larches

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
They tell me the time limit to edit has expired,although it expired while ,I was doing just that.Small but infuriating time glitch.Fix it please BN!

Anyway, There is the Chinese Larch inhabiting Hunnan province.I have Lat. and Long.but not altitude I seem to remember seeing a type of Larix at Stanley Park in Vancouver:eek:r is that just wrong?

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I collected a couple larch last year, but they are bean pole straight, with smooth bark. Probably a true larch, @wireme your examples, those are Tamarak?

No, tamarack is Larix laricina, those don't grow around here. Up in your parts I think tamarack is the only Larix you would find but I'm not totally sure about that.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I collected a couple larch last year, but they are bean pole straight, with smooth bark. Probably a true larch, @wireme your examples, those are Tamarak?
It's tough to find them with taper,movement and good bark but it can be done. One of the best places to find these is along roads and in ditches where they have been brush hogged and bent over by snow load.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They tell me the time limit to edit has expired,although it expired while ,I was doing just that.Small but infuriating time glitch.Fix it please BN!

Anyway, There is the Chinese Larch inhabiting Hunnan province.I have Lat. and Long.but not altitude I seem to remember seeing a type of Larix at Stanley Park in Vancouver:eek:r is that just wrong?

That is probably not wrong. I'm pretty sure I've seen landscape larch of some variety in Van. One of our members here from Vancouver island has a really nice little cascade larch.

PierreR

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2a
No, tamarack is Larix laricina, those don't grow around here. Up in your parts I think tamarack is the only Larix you would find but I'm not totally sure about that.
We have both, I have to go further north to the bogs with black spruce to find ones like wireme, the smooth bark ones, more like balsam fir, are closer. Frost is all but out of the ground, so next days off, I might go for a look-see.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found a larch at a garden convention....no rugged bark and a bit straight, but I had to jump on it because I needed one.

They seem like a great tree to develop anyways. One time I visited a guy who had a couple laricina that Nick Lenz had developed from young uninteresting stock and they were great. Crust has shown us one or two that he's grown out from scratch too.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just noticed this thread. That bark is just deadly. I only have one larch, collected two springs ago. Straight trunk and smooth bark but with a bit of taper. I'm trying to make it look like all the mountain conifers around here, tall with short, downward sweeping branches and almost random jins.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
In order to get decent bark the tree should be grown in a container. Grow it in the ground the bark grows at a normal rate which will make it smooth for many years. As to growing in short fat trunks you will have to chop the trunk and regrow the apex a number of times.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMG_1619.JPG Here it is, really just a practice tree for learning how to collect and maintain larches, before I try to pull some venerable old yomadori lyalli off a mountain slope. It's a tamarack, so likes to be a lot wetter than my other conifers. Needs a good re wiring next spring as well,

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 123251 Here it is, really just a practice tree for learning how to collect and maintain larches, before I try to pull some venerable old yomadori lyalli off a mountain slope. It's a tamarack, so likes to be a lot wetter than my other conifers. Needs a good re wiring next spring as well,

I like what you have here, keep at it.:cool:

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
When is the best time to trunk chop?
Do you guys bare root these?

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 123251 Here it is, really just a practice tree for learning how to collect and maintain larches, before I try to pull some venerable old yomadori lyalli off a mountain slope. It's a tamarack, so likes to be a lot wetter than my other conifers. Needs a good re wiring next spring as well,

That's a really nice bit of material there I think. Bark will come eventually, I'd be stoked to have that to work on.

As far as the lyalli, from very limited experience I have a feeling they suffer when brought down from elevation. I hope I'm wrong, we should both try some small young ones as soon as possible to learn more.

Top Bottom