Reaction score
USDA Zone
My guess is almost certainly Tamarack

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
There is no question that this is Larch. Can anyone provide me with the botanical name of this Larch? Are you aware that Larch grows in Alaska?

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is no question that this is Larch. Can anyone provide me with the botanical name of this Larch? Are you aware that Larch grows in Alaska?
Not sure which post exactly you are referencing but the ones I collected and yesterday's pic are Larix Occidentalis.

More pics from yesterday's walk, I love being in the land of western larch, pics don't do justice at all, fantastic trees. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I really like the one in the little (one gallon?) pot. Sucks you lost that one, but these are nice.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like the one in the little (one gallon?) pot. Sucks you lost that one, but these are nice.
Thanks, I like it too, almost readymade really, peel some bark adjust a branch and there's a fine little tree there.
Here's the fall colours of the collected ones. I'll repot one or both next spring. image.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The Larch in Alaska is Laricina or Eastern Larch.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Here are a few pics from today. 1st is a western I picked up at a nursery this spring. The timing was perfect for a repot-partial soil replacement. Note the Japanese Larch in the lower left corner, not as far along in budding out as the Western. 2nd, a crummy pic of an Eastern Larch in the shade. The
Last species to bud out here. 3rd, a sapling Western in the landscape that was ravaged by a buck last fall. Under 4' tall but notice the conelets. Tree is a little stressed. I'd be too if a buck debarked half my hide.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Larch in Alaska is Laricina or Eastern Larch.

Interesting, laricina seems to be all across the north, I haven't been to Alaska but have seen tons of laricina up in northern Alberta. The Range of L. Occidentalis and L. Lyalli is a lot smaller I think.
Are there any other North American Larix besides those three?

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are a few pics from today. 1st is a western I picked up at a nursery this spring. The timing was perfect for a repot-partial soil replacement. Note the Japanese Larch in the lower left corner, not as far along in budding out as the Western. 2nd, a crummy pic of an Eastern Larch in the shade. The
Last species to bud out here. 3rd, a sapling Western in the landscape that was ravaged by a buck last fall. Under 4' tall but notice the conelets. Tree is a little stressed. I'd be too if a buck debarked half my hide.
View attachment 101734 View attachment 101733 View attachment 101732

Cool.
Funny to see the western larch budding out ahead of the others there. It's amazing how fast they move in spring, mine had green showing when the box was still frozen into the mulch. Every two or three years here the larch loose their first flush of needles to frost and have to grow a new batch.
Yours was not so far flushed out as the pic when you repotted was it?

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
No, buds were all golden with just a few showing green in the center. No tuffs pushing out when I did it. Tree didn't miss a beat. Nice bark on yours by the way.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Killzone Dirtbag!

Sorce

Top Bottom