Western Australian peppermint tree

Craigm

Mame
Reaction score
G'day all,
this is an evergreen species Agonis flexuosa, which is one of the most common Species found(native) in Perth,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agonis_flexuosa

The reason I took this tree on was the interesting twist happening in the lower trunk.
First thing was to reduce the height by removing the main trunkline above some use able branches.
I think the first pic was taken in about 2012/13,

8.jpg

Since then it has been repotted only once into this "mica" training container.
The Tree is starting to show some rewards after 3 to 4 years but still has some ways to go yet.

DSC06837.jpg

Thoughts always welcome,
happy Bonsai, regards Craig

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Absolutely they are very a very Hardy species which require no special treatments.
Not real sure how they would fare in a "Frost" zone.
thanks for the interest, regards Craig.

Never mind then. We get frosts and freezes--normally--just none this year.
It looks cool and the plant descriptions I can find seem to all back it as bonsai-worthy.
Pity. I am doing my best to remove everything I own that is frost tender or more
than my zone's freeze/temperature limits. I intend to only use the propagation
house for rooting anymore.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Craig. That is a nice specimen. I look forward to updates. I have neglected Oz natives for too long but I am propagating them with a vengeance now. We have some of the most spectacular trees for bonsai here. (Eg, I think L. laevigatum could be our shimpaku!) I like the way you are going with this tree.

Craigm

Mame
Reaction score
Hi Craig. That is a nice specimen. I look forward to updates. I have neglected Oz natives for too long but I am propagating them with a vengeance now. We have some of the most spectacular trees for bonsai here. (Eg, I think L. laevigatum could be our shimpaku!) I like the way you are going with this tree.

Thankyou @MichaelS , I appreciate you taking time to comment mate.

I do agree that we have some trees which are desirable for Bonsai growing,

Last edited:

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey mate lookin nice! Chuck us a few seeds!

Craigm

Mame
Reaction score

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I couldn't do it mate, I wouldn't risk sending any freshly picked seeds because of the Risk of introducing hidden pest/insects inside them.

You could buy direct from a reputable Seed company, I have had seeds sent overseas in the past no problems.
http://australianseed.com/shop/category/

http://australianseed.com/shop/item/agonis-flexuosa-
Heheh point taken but seriously if you can introduce a disease that doesnt already exist here you would have performed a miracle. Imported trees die like flies here. You will not believe the amount of blight species here....thats why I most have native Korean trees....blight resistant.....or at least more than others....I remember gardening in Aus.....no disease...or at least nothing major....lets just say I would never sent any to aus from here...never.
Ps thabks for awesome site

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anyone try Bluegum? Heard they hatw root restriction.....would adore getting a big bluegum or ghost gum to flower

Craigm

Mame
Reaction score
Anyone try Bluegum? Heard they hatw root restriction.....would adore getting a big bluegum or ghost gum to flower

I haven't heard of anyone that grows Bluegum as Bonsai but there are alot of people growing gums/eucalypts.
As far as roots go they are pretty hardy and can handle rootpruning quite well so long as aftercare is maintained.
Some can fill the pot with roots with a month or so but that's good right?
I personally haven't had many problems with them, I grow several species of Eucalypts including the "Ghost gum".
This is Eucalyptus decipiens
2017-01-05 09.55.59.jpg
Have Fun!

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I haven't heard of anyone that grows Bluegum as Bonsai but there are alot of people growing gums/eucalypts.
As far as roots go they are pretty hardy and can handle rootpruning quite well so long as aftercare is maintained.
Some can fill the pot with roots with a month or so but that's good right?
I personally haven't had many problems with them, I grow several species of Eucalypts including the "Ghost gum".
This is Eucalyptus decipiens
View attachment 130204
Have Fun!
Awesome. Thanks for that! How old is that tree? Looks awesome!

Top Bottom